How do I add a Trados shortcut in the "right-click menu"?
Thread poster: Carole K
Carole K
Local time: 09:02
French to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2013

Hi,
I have Trados installed on 2 computers, one with Windows Vista and most recently one with Windows 7.

On my Vista computer, I can right-click on an Excel file and select Trados 2009 from the right-click menu that pops up to open the file in Trados. However, on my Windows 7 computer, this option doesn't appear when I right-click on an Excel file within the menu options...

Does anyone know if there is an option within Trados 2009 to enable that shortcut on Windows 7 or was it just a Trados feature for Vista, or maybe there is an issue with the order of installation??
On the Windows 7 computer, I installed Trados after Office, so I'm not sure why it didn't create the shortcut I have on my Vista computer?

I've tried searching around the internet and on the SDL website, but I haven't been able to find any information as to why my two installations of Trados are different in this manner, it is really useful to have this right-click shortcut to open an excel file in Trados.

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:02
English to French
+ ...
Open With Jan 7, 2013

Hi Carole,

If you really want to open Excel files with Studio 2009 under Win 7, right-click and select Open With, default is Excel, select Other Programs, navigate to Program Files (x86) -> SDL -> SDL Trados Studio, select SDLTradosStudio.exe, uncheck Always open selected files... checkbox and whenever you right-click on an Excel file you'll have the option to open with Excel or Studio 2009 under Open With.

You're welcome.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:58 GMT]

Carole K
Local time: 09:02
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perfect! Jan 7, 2013

Thanks a lot! Yes, much better!

It's true Win 7 works differently from Vista. I had tried browsing the other programs after right-clicking, but I couldn't find the exe file before, so thanks for the link!
And I have now a shortcut on Win7 too.
Thanks!

Fabian Luttman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:02
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Doesn't work for me... Jan 9

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi Carole,

If you really want to open Excel files with Studio 2009 under Win 7, right-click and select Open With, default is Excel, select Other Programs, navigate to Program Files (x86) -> SDL -> SDL Trados Studio, select SDLTradosStudio.exe, uncheck Always open selected files... checkbox and whenever you right-click on an Excel file you'll have the option to open with Excel or Studio 2009 under Open With.

You're welcome.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:58 GMT]

I have the same problem in two different installations using the same versions of Studio (2014) and Windows (7).
One will have the useful right click menu options and the other one won't....
If I try your suggestion, Studio will simply open, but it will not be ready with the file(s) loaded for translation. I will have to go to the File>Translate Single Document option for example...
Is there any way to fix this properly to have the menu shown in the picture?
Screenshot from 2017-01-09 16-35-02
Thanks,
Fabian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I add a Trados shortcut in the "right-click menu"?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search