Indesign compatible with Trados 2011?
Thread poster: Sandra Westphal

Sandra Westphal  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:09
English to German
Jan 7, 2013

Hello,

I have been asked if I could take on a project consisting of Indesign file for the 2nd time today.

As I do not have Indesign (and do not intend to buy it for about 1000 €):

Is there any (other) way I could translate Indesign files with Trados 2011?

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Trial Version Jan 7, 2013

Hi Sandra,

Download a 30-day trial version from the Adobe site, save your InDesign files as .inx and you're in business or ask your customer to save them as .inx for you.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:27 GMT]

James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English

idml better Jan 7, 2013

My experience of both inx and idml files is that the latter are easier to translate in terms of tag spaghetti.

Your mileage may vary of course!

I have found that customers with the DTP software normally prefer to do the DTP themselves, and the guide is to try to stick to a similar number of characters in the translation as there were in the source text to make their lives a little easier.

Good luck.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:09
Member (2008)
French to English
Freelancer version Jan 7, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi Sandra,

Download a 30-day trial version from the Adobe site, save your InDesign files as .inx and you're in business or ask your customer to save them as .inx for you.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-07 18:27 GMT]

InDesign is available from Adobe in a freelancer version, for which you pay a monthly subscription of about $30 as needed. If you only need it for one job you can pay $30 for which the license is valid for only one month. You can do it again in, say, 6 months, if you need it for another job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indesign compatible with Trados 2011?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search