Tags missing or locked after converting Trados 2007 TM (TMW) to Trados Studio 2011 format (SDLTM)
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 22:18
German to English
Jan 7, 2013

Hi,
I upgraded my team recently to SDL Trados Studio 2011, and so I upgraded all of our TMs to the new format.
We've noticed that some inline tags in segments are replaced with a small lock icon. In other cases, tags may be missing. This is creating a lot of fuzzy matches in our projects, as these segments were 100% matches in the old TM.

I asked Trados support, and the suggestion was to export the 2011 TM into a TMX file, then create a TM in the 2011 version and import that TMX file (instead of using the "Upgrade translation memories" function). This did not help. I also tried adjusting some settings when importing data or upgrading the TM. I have tried all three options under "TMX Import Options":
- The imported data will be primarily used with new, native source files or files processed only with SDL Trados Studio
- The imported data will be primarily used with presegmented legacy SDL Trados ITD or TTX files
- The imported data will be primarily used in mixed scenarios

I have also tried the option "Import translation units as plain text", which just deleted all the tags as I suspected it would. None of it has worked (actually, the middle option, about the data being used with presegmented legacy SDL Trados ITD or TTX files, might have removed the locks from the tags. But for the record, we're using XML files and not ITDs or TTXs).

We seem to notice this problem mostly happening when a certain few tags are in the sentence, so I'm guessing it's something about those tags triggering it, but I don't know what. Usually, it will be a group of tags and some in the group are missing or locked.

Does anyone know what is going on and how we can fix it? I will report back to Trados support about the solution that didn't work, but I wanted to ask here because sometimes the problem gets resolved more quickly.

I would add screenshots of the problem, but I haven't posted in these forums in a long time and can't remember how...but if it will help, let me know how to post them and I will.

Thanks,
Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
English
Leverage differences Jan 8, 2013

Hi Nicole,

There may not be anything you can do about this at all. 2007 and 2011 treat source files and segmentation in different ways, and whilst you can get close for most things there will be others that are less successful.

You could try using the Trados 2007 plugin for lookup and see if this improves things but I have my doubts this would improve the situation for you : http://goo.gl/fER8X

If you still have the bilingual files from 2007 then these may be more successful as a migration path because in addition to the translation units being "in context" the tags and formatting can be extracted from the bilingual files more reliably than from a TM upgrade or TMX import. The disadvantage for using these files of course is that they do not contain custom fields that may have been in your original TM so these would have to be put back during import if you know what should be there for each batch of files and if it's really important for you.

I think in general once you have migrated, and use your legacy upgrade TMs for reference only (I think it makes more sense to start afresh with a nice clean SDLTM set up the way you want to work in the future) then after a while many of the things you were receiving less leverage for than before will correct themselves and you'll start to receive benefits from the work being added to your new TM.

Kind regards

Paul

Nicole Martin
Local time: 22:18
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Adjusting settings solved part of the problem Jan 11, 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I honestly would be suprised if there was absolutely no data loss when converting TMs. It just seems like there should be because you're working with two different file formats and, as you said, slightly different segmentation behavior.

We had a ticket open with SDL support, and the individual did something to modify the settings for this particular file type. After loading the new settings, the translator tried opening the file and she said it looked like the missing tags were now there. I'm not sure what was modified, but we are asking in case this comes up again.

But there is still the issue of tags being locked. It's not something that is stopping work or anything, but I just can't figure out why it happens. Missing tags due to converting the TM makes sense, but I don't understand why some of them would get locked in the conversion process. Do you know why that might happen?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags missing or locked after converting Trados 2007 TM (TMW) to Trados Studio 2011 format (SDLTM)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search