https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/240862-xml_filetype_parser_with_embedded_html.html

XML filetype parser with embedded html
Thread poster: foremonly
foremonly
foremonly
Member (1970)
Jan 8, 2013

Hello,
I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to change segmentation rules for certain nodes within a parser? For example, I have an xml with list of keyword separated by commas (i.e. keyword1,keyword2,keyword3). Is it possible to have these segmented by the comma? In the editor view, I would like to have each keyword in a separate segment and exclude the comma as per the following:

keyword1
keyword2
keyword3

Please note that the keywo
... See more
Hello,
I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to change segmentation rules for certain nodes within a parser? For example, I have an xml with list of keyword separated by commas (i.e. keyword1,keyword2,keyword3). Is it possible to have these segmented by the comma? In the editor view, I would like to have each keyword in a separate segment and exclude the comma as per the following:

keyword1
keyword2
keyword3

Please note that the keywords are found in a keyword node. The other nodes in the XML do not need to be parsed in this way.

This leads me to my second question...

2. Is it possible to set up sub parsers. For example, I want to parse the content in one node differently from another node and have the text segmented differently.

3. For HTML embedded XMLs, is it possible to import the settings from the HTML filetype into the XML filetype instead of manually setting embedded tag rules? It seems like a bunch of work to manually add all possible html in the XML filetype, when the default settings for the HTML filetype seem to be very comprehensive.

I would be very grateful if someone could provide some insight on these questions.

Thank you!
Emily
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
English
Tricky questions! Jan 9, 2013

Hi Emily,

I created a test file like this (maybe not exactly what you have but it may give you some ideas):

Then I created a filetype that does this:

So not perfect, but it may be enough to provide you with what you need, or a few examp
... See more
Hi Emily,

I created a test file like this (maybe not exactly what you have but it may give you some ideas):

Then I created a filetype that does this:

So not perfect, but it may be enough to provide you with what you need, or a few examples for starters. The parser rules I used were these:

Note that I added some context to li which contains the lists seperated by commas. This allowed me to then add two embedded content rules like this:

The first rule captures any tag at all in the CDATA section where I placed my html content, and the second was simply a comma. I then made the comma a nontranslatable placeable and excluded it so it was help outside the segments:

So, not a perfect embedded html solution you were after but perhaps overall something you can work with?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

foremonly
foremonly
Member (1970)
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 9, 2013

Thanks, Paul! Helpful as always!

I will have a look and see how it goes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML filetype parser with embedded html

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »