https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/241021-copy_source_text_as_target_text_automatically_in_studio_2011_compulsory_or_not.html

Copy source text as target text automatically in Studio 2011: compulsory or not?
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2013

Dear All,

A client of mine has sent me a ttx file created in Studio 2011 in which the source text has been copied automatically into the column for the target text. They claim that there is no other way to generate the ttx file for subsequent use with Studio 2009 (the version I work with) due to segmentation problems. This sounds very odd to me as all the ttx files I've received in the past have the target column empty (although they may have been created using Studio 2009 rather th
... See more
Dear All,

A client of mine has sent me a ttx file created in Studio 2011 in which the source text has been copied automatically into the column for the target text. They claim that there is no other way to generate the ttx file for subsequent use with Studio 2009 (the version I work with) due to segmentation problems. This sounds very odd to me as all the ttx files I've received in the past have the target column empty (although they may have been created using Studio 2009 rather than 2011) so I thought I'd check with you guys if this really is the case before I contact them again.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Andy
Collapse

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
How to clear target segments in Trados Studio Jan 10, 2013

Hi Andy,

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I think what you are really looking for is a simple way to start with empty target segments.

It's too bad SDL Trados didn't include a "clear all target segments" option in the Studio 2011 menus, because it would have been really handy. I didn't even think it was possible until a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon another ProZ posting in which Aude Sylvain was
... See more
Hi Andy,

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I think what you are really looking for is a simple way to start with empty target segments.

It's too bad SDL Trados didn't include a "clear all target segments" option in the Studio 2011 menus, because it would have been really handy. I didn't even think it was possible until a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon another ProZ posting in which Aude Sylvain was kind enough to explain the simple procedure here.

The guys at SDL probably thought this was obvious, but IMHO they do not do enough real-world GUI testing. Hope this helps.

Ben
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not sure what you mean? Jan 10, 2013

Dr. Andrew Frankland wrote:

Dear All,

A client of mine has sent me a ttx file created in Studio 2011 in which the source text has been copied automatically into the column for the target text. They claim that there is no other way to generate the ttx file for subsequent use with Studio 2009 (the version I work with) due to segmentation problems. This sounds very odd to me as all the ttx files I've received in the past have the target column empty (although they may have been created using Studio 2009 rather than 2011) so I thought I'd check with you guys if this really is the case before I contact them again.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Andy

Dear Andy,

First of all Studio cannot create a TTX. The TTX is created in Trados. Studio can open a TTX and then save it as a TTX. If you do this then the decision to copy source to target or not is yours at the time of opening the TTX in Studio, and if you save the TTX again from Studio then it will only contain target information if you put it there.

What I think you really mean based on subsequent comments is that your client has provided a fully segmented TTX from Trados by using segment unknown sentences to ensure that the file is fully segmented in accordance with the Trados segmentation rules. This of course is very sensible to ensure that the file will be successfully roundtripped from Trados to Studio and back again.

If you don't use segment unknown sentences then if you have no matches from the Trados TM when you prepare the TTX then all the target segments will indeed be empty and the TTX won't be fully segmented. studio 2009 and 2011 can finish the segmentation when you open the TTX but this will be based on Studio rules and this has the potential to cause problems when cleaning the file again in Trados. You don't always get problemsm but the potential for them is removed by proper segmentation first.

Now that you have the TTX in Studio, if all the target segments are just source copied over then all you have to do is clear the target segments - Alt+Shift+Delete

Regards

Paul

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe SDLXLIFF Legacy Converter Jan 11, 2013

First of all Studio cannot create a TTX.

It may be also the OpenExchange app "SDLXLIFF Legacy Converter", it creates TTX files with the source copied to the target and I think there is no way to change it...

A client of mine has sent me a t... See more
First of all Studio cannot create a TTX.

It may be also the OpenExchange app "SDLXLIFF Legacy Converter", it creates TTX files with the source copied to the target and I think there is no way to change it...

A client of mine has sent me a ttx file created in Studio 2011

Why don't you ask your client to send you a 2009 package instead?

.. Jesús Prieto ...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy source text as target text automatically in Studio 2011: compulsory or not?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »