XML files open with incorrect file type
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 13:40
German to English
Jan 11, 2013

Within in my team, we work mostly with XML files, but there are many different varities (14 different DTDs). Opening these files with the generic XML settings ("Any XML") results in everything be segmented in correctly and no ability to merge broken up segments.

We have INI files for all of these file types, so we have created file types in the Options menu based on these INI files. For half of my team, the program selects the correct file type settings when they open an XML. For the other half, it always reverts to the generic "Any XML" settings.

We have tried:
- Deleting the customized file type and setting it up again using settings that had been exported from a user who did not have this problem
- Deleting the customized file type and setting it up again using the INI file from a user who did not have this problem
- Making sure our XML file types are at the top of the list and the generic one is at the bottom
- Unchecking the generic XML file type to disable it
- Making sure the correct root elements are entered under "Detection"

None of these worked.

One user had her settings working correctly, but then when she got back from Christmas break, she suddenly had this probem and hadn't changed anything. She tried setting up a file type again using the INI from someone else and that didn't fix the problem. But once she shut the program down and restarted it, it began opening the files with the correct file type.

Does anyone out there know why the program is defaulting to generic settings when the correct settings are there? A few on my team have opened tickets with SDL support and I have also spent a lot of time going through user guides, help files, knowledge base, Proz forums and Internet searches, but none of us have found a solution yet.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files open with incorrect file type

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search