XML files open with incorrect file type
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 22:13
German to English
Jan 11, 2013

Within in my team, we work mostly with XML files, but there are many different varities (14 different DTDs). Opening these files with the generic XML settings ("Any XML") results in everything be segmented in correctly and no ability to merge broken up segments.

We have INI files for all of these file types, so we have created file types in the Options menu based on these INI files. For half of my team, the program selects the correct file type settings when they open an XML. For the other half, it always reverts to the generic "Any XML" settings.

We have tried:
- Deleting the customized file type and setting it up again using settings that had been exported from a user who did not have this problem
- Deleting the customized file type and setting it up again using the INI file from a user who did not have this problem
- Making sure our XML file types are at the top of the list and the generic one is at the bottom
- Unchecking the generic XML file type to disable it
- Making sure the correct root elements are entered under "Detection"

None of these worked.

One user had her settings working correctly, but then when she got back from Christmas break, she suddenly had this probem and hadn't changed anything. She tried setting up a file type again using the INI from someone else and that didn't fix the problem. But once she shut the program down and restarted it, it began opening the files with the correct file type.

Does anyone out there know why the program is defaulting to generic settings when the correct settings are there? A few on my team have opened tickets with SDL support and I have also spent a lot of time going through user guides, help files, knowledge base, Proz forums and Internet searches, but none of us have found a solution yet.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML files open with incorrect file type

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search