Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 14, 2013

Hello,

I have just bought SDL Studio 2011 and I have 2 big question marks:

1) I have a project made of dozens of files. I am sure I have translated the same term differently somewhere, now I want to search for the term in the source files and correct the inconsistency, however the FIND option only looks for words in single documents. I cannot believe that this major CAT lacks such a basic function, so there must be a way to do this.

2) My fresh installation shows an annoying bug. While I type, the cursor doesnt move, but stays in the initial position where I started typing, anybody had the same problem?

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:14
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Jan 14, 2013

Luca Ruella wrote:

1) I have a project made of dozens of files. I am sure I have translated the same term differently somewhere, now I want to search for the term in the source files and correct the inconsistency, however the FIND option only looks for words in single documents. I cannot believe that this major CAT lacks such a basic function, so there must be a way to do this.

You can use the "Concordance Search" for that: highlight the term in the source segment and press F3.

2) My fresh installation shows an annoying bug. While I type, the cursor doesnt move, but stays in the initial position where I started typing, anybody had the same problem?

No, never seen that.

United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concordance Jan 14, 2013

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

You can use the "Concordance Search" for that: highlight the term in the source segment and press F3.

Hi, yes but that is a workaround that isn't really helpful, since the term is found dozens of times in the TM provided by the customer and this is very confusing and makes it hard to go the the actual file/segment I have translated. Really there's no search all files function???? That is nonsense in such an expensive software....

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Batch Find and Replace Jan 14, 2013

Hi Luca,

Use the Batch Find and Replace application found under Start -> SDL -> Studio 2011 - OpenExchange Apps

HTH,

Bernard

United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Openexchange Jan 14, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi Luca,

Use the Batch Find and Replace application found under Start -> SDL -> Studio 2011 - OpenExchange Apps

HTH,

Bernard

Thanks, this solves it.

However, I find it absurd that I have to open an external app to make such a simple operation. It's like having to use a separate remote control to change TV volume. SDL Devs should really look into this.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yep Jan 14, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi Luca,

HTH,

Bernard

Bernard was quicker...

Marie Widell
Sweden
Cursor problem Jan 15, 2013

I have experienced the same problem, but not always. For me and a colleague of mine, the cursor only stops moving when we export WorldServer projects from one specific client and translate them in Studio. I think the TM that is downloaded from WS is the culprit, but it's hard to be sure. Do you have this problem all the time?

Thanks Bernard for the tip on batch search and replace!

United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cursor Jan 15, 2013

Marie Widell wrote:

I have experienced the same problem, but not always. For me and a colleague of mine, the cursor only stops moving when we export WorldServer projects from one specific client and translate them in Studio. I think the TM that is downloaded from WS is the culprit, but it's hard to be sure. Do you have this problem all the time?

Thanks Bernard for the tip on batch search and replace!

Yes, I have this problem all the time. So far I've worked only on projects received from one specific client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2011: find on multiple files and cursor bug

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search