Installation problems with Studio 2011 Starter Edition
Thread poster: Pablo Rottenberg
Pablo Rottenberg
United States
Local time: 07:17
English to Spanish
Jan 15, 2013

Hello, newbie here. I am tring to install Studio 2011 Starter Edition SP2 on a Mac. This is an old Mac, running Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP. While installing Studio, it asked me if I wanted to install Microsoft NetFrame. I clicked OK, but after the first 4 files it tells me there was a problem downloading a file, I clicked Retry several times with no results. When I clicked Cancel, the installation stopped.

I copied the URL of the problem file onto my browser window and I got a 404 error: File unknown.

My question is: can I try to download NetFrame separately and will the Studio installer recognize it or is there anything different that I can do?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
No expert on a MAC... Jan 16, 2013

... and the only advice I have seen relates to installing on newer versions. But it seems worth a try to download and install whatever is being asked for separately if you know where to get it. The logic being Studio hopefully won't go looking for it if it's already there.

Has to be worth a try.

This thread has much advice for MAC users, but may be a different flavour to the one you have installed.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/137659-studio_2009_under_parallels.html

Regards

Paul

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
Erm... Jan 16, 2013

... get a proper computer? Seriously, used PCs are very cheap nowadays and I think you are flogging a dead horse there, honestly. You will only continue to have problems if you don't update your hardware to something that is "in the ball park".

Best wishes,

Steve K.

Hervelaura  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
English to French
Is SDL Trados starter Edition useless ? Jan 18, 2013

Hi everyone,
I used the sdl trados free trail edition and was so excited that i purchased the 2011 started edition. I got my first contract but i was so disapointed when i realized that i could use only the TM that was provided along with the job and nothing else (this could not exceed 5000 units), so it did not really help be because i couldn't create any TM and had to translate more than 70% of the work, what was really frustrating. So my question is to know if there is something i did wrong or the decission to buy the starter edition was a bad one ? i got the licence 2 days ago , is there any possibility to return it and get my money back? because i am not ready to buy the professional version and this stater edition seems useless.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Not useless... Jan 18, 2013

... but it does have limited functionality and is priced accordingly. You don't need to purchase the Professional Edition, you can buy the Freelance Edition.

There a Translators Group Buy at 30% discount now - http://www.proz.com/tgb/709

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Read the small (and large) print before you buy. Jan 18, 2013

Hervelaura wrote:

I got my first contract but i was so disapointed when i realized that i could use only the TM that was provided along with the job and nothing else (this could not exceed 5000 units).

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the Starter version. Maybe you didn't read what it says on the SDL website.
There's a comparison of all versions and a clear statement: "Please note that there are restrictions in the Starter Edition."
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

The link to upgrading from the Starter version is on the same page, but as Paul says, it might well be better to go for a group buy on ProZ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation problems with Studio 2011 Starter Edition

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search