Thread poster: r-lts.com

r-lts.com
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 17, 2013

I need some advice.
I am considering getting Trados however due to its high cost I am thinking of whether I can get a Trados Starter instead. Can you tell me the capacity / limitation of Trados Starter against the freelancer version please?

Most of my job do not require Trados but one potential agency that I may work with requires me to have that.

So, will Starter do the job?

Appreciate your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Well, check out the URL Jan 17, 2013

ivy_oops wrote:
Most of my job do not require Trados but one potential agency that I may work with requires me to have that.

I'm speaking from only partial experience, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

The biggest limitation of the Starter Edition is that your TMs can't be more than 5000 units long, unless the client sends the TM in a "package". From my own experience, very few Trados clients send the TM in a package, and some do not even know how to create a package. So, make sure your one Trados client is able to work with packages instead of individual files, otherwise you won't be able to do any work for them if the TM for that job is larger than 5000 units.

Oh, and you can't use multiple TMs *simultaneously* in the Starter Edition. And you can't use the built-in autosuggest/autocomplete function. And finally, as per the URL, with the Starter Edition, you can't import/export other TM formats (but I wonder if this includes TMX).

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:19
Finnish to French
old Trados vs. new one + free/inexpensive 3rd party alternatives Jan 17, 2013

ivy_oops wrote:

First of all, you need to know whether Trados refers to the "old" one (Workbench/TagEditor) or the "new" one (Studio). The old Trados means dealing with "unclean" Word documents and/or TTX files. The new Trados means dealing with SDLXLIFF files.

Either way, there are free or inexpensive software that will let you deal with these formats, for instance OmegaT (free) and CafeTran (80 euros with upgrades for two years).

Drew MacFadyen
SITE STAFF
Free trials and information at ProZ.com's software comparison page Jan 17, 2013

ProZ.com maintains a list of software and cat tools for comparison at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/cat/cat_tools/2 (This is not exhaustive/complete yet) but does include most of the major tools and some information about the tools such as price, license type and links to their free trials. You can compare reviews and more side by side as well.

I would definitely suggest a 30 day trial to make sure that you are comfortable and can work easily with the tool.

Regards,

Drew

r-lts.com
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NEed more explanation Jan 17, 2013

Thanks for your advice.
The thing is it doesn't sound good if I told the agency that I don't have Trados. Is there any CAT tools that I can use (cheaper / free) that allows me to work with Trados file and be able to send the file back to the agency for them to use on Trados?
And what about the glossary, is there any CAT tools that allow me to create a glossay which can also be used on Trados?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Starter

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search