Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:21
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jan 18, 2013

What is the latest version of WS Desktop Workbench, 9.0.1.60? The online version to be used by one of my clients is 10.2.0.146. Are they compatible or do I need a higher version?

I can use the online 'browser' version for small projects.

WorldServer users who need to perform brief reviews or edits can use the BrowserWorkbench without opening a separate desktop application.

WorldServer v10.2.0 Browser Workbench User Guide.pdf

But for larger projects (translation or editing), I would prefer the desktop version or another CAT tool (Deja Vu X2 or MemoQ but not Studio).

Selcuk

Direct link

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
English
No idea what the last build number was Jan 18, 2013

Hi Selcuk,

Desktop Workbench was discontinued and is longer supported. If your client is using WS 10.2 then it's possible that the files in the Kit could well be sdlxliff rather than xlf as the filters are changing so that we have consistency across our products and less to maintain, which means DWB could not open these anyway.

If you prefer DVX or memoQ (which of course you do) then why not just use these tools in the first place? Why use DWB at all?

Regards

Paul

Direct link

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Had a similar issue a year ago Jan 18, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
What is the latest version of WS Desktop Workbench, 9.0.1.60? The online version to be used by one of my clients is 10.2.0.146. Are they compatible or do I need a higher version?

I had a similar situation about a year ago -- the client's online version was 10 (I think) but the version they distributed to translators was version 9 (I think) and it simply worked.

Direct link

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Version number warning... Studio... Jan 18, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I had a similar situation about a year ago -- the client's online version was 10 (I think) but the version they distributed to translators was version 9 (I think) and it simply worked.

I dropped Idiom many years ago and I don't remember exactly but Idiom used to complain about the version number if an important version mismatch was detected.

If no warning is issued, you can continue but Idiom is one of the worse tools for CAT hopping, the desktop version has no export options (a workaround for DVX is published somewhere in the dejavu-l Files section, AFAIR).
You can also work open the newest packages in Studio and start the CAT hopping from there

Cheers
GG

Direct link

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:21
English to German
+ ...
Why exactly? Jan 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
Desktop Workbench was discontinued and is longer supported.

I work with freelance / editor versions only. What made Idiom outstanding among all the other stuff I am working with, was the fact that it was obviously tailored towards the translator's needs rather than the agency's needs. Apparently that appeared to be a marketing flaw...

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2013-01-18 09:24 GMT]

Direct link

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX modded editor... Jan 18, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

I work with freelance / editor versions only. What made Idiom outstanding among all the other stuff I am working with, was the fact that it was obviously tailored towards the translator's needs rather than the agency's needs.

Obviously.
The Idiom 8.x./9.x. editor is a modded version of DVX.
Before SDL purchased Idiom, Idiom used a slightly modified DVX Workgroup version (added server communication modules, stripped project creation).
After the purchase SDL simply stripped Atril name from the code, changed a little bit the file format and introduced some changes in the GUI and stripped out all the interoperability functions.

Apparently that appeared to be a marketing flaw...

Cheers
GG

Direct link

United States
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Grzegorz! I like my Idiom. Jan 18, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

I work with freelance / editor versions only. What made Idiom outstanding among all the other stuff I am working with, was the fact that it was obviously tailored towards the translator's needs rather than the agency's needs.

Obviously.
The Idiom 8.x./9.x. editor is a modded version of DVX.
Before SDL purchased Idiom, Idiom used a slightly modified DVX Workgroup version (added server communication modules, stripped project creation).
After the purchase SDL simply stripped Atril name from the code, changed a little bit the file format and introduced some changes in the GUI and stripped out all the interoperability functions.

Apparently that appeared to be a marketing flaw...

Cheers
GG

Soon to be extinct or not - Idiom allows you to do highly interesting things (acquired by accident and not mentioned in any tutorial, hehe...) that SDL apparently is not aware of.

Way to go - killing off this neat tool. Nice job. Ever considered firing your marketing department?

Direct link

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your comments Jan 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

In other words SDL killed it. The Browser Workbench is like a bad joke but the client asks us to use it. Good marketing for bad products again, congratulations!

I can do CAT hopping of course but in my opinion even the limited version of DWB is better than Studio, provided that version 9.0.1.60 is fully compatible with the online version 10.2.0.146.

Direct link

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No offensive remarks, please

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Download as Trados file? Jan 18, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
The Browser Workbench is like a bad joke but the client asks us to use it. Good marketing for bad products again, congratulations!

In the versions of the online system, I was able to export the files as either Idiom XLIFF or as some kind of Trados format. I only ever used the Idiom XLIFF files, though.

I also have/had an AutoIt script that pastes text into the browser version, but I no longer have access to a browser version, so I can't tell whether it still works or not.

Direct link

United Kingdom
English
Incredible discussion really Jan 18, 2013

Hi,

SDL has always been a very acquisitive company and when you do this you end up with a tremendous number of software applications. Many of these applications are good but it would be impossible to maintain them all, and you need to consider that in order to be able to continue to support the users of these different software applications you have to eventually find a common ground. In doing this you certainly would not take the product that has a hundred users over the one that has a thousand and make this the way forward.

The way forward for SDL is based around the Studio platform which consists of common technology for as much as possible, so file filters, translation memories, terminology, xliff, package formats etc. In addition to this is incorporates an substantial investment in the OpenExchange which is a product in its own right that opens up the API to external developers to an extent I doubt any of our commercial competitors come anywhere near.

The comments on what came first or who did what are pointless and possibly ill-informed. SDL acquired a company called Amphion who had a tool called Amptran... in fact much of SDLX took it's inspiration from this tool and it used the curly brackets for tags we see in Idiom DWB, DVX, memoQ etc today... who came first? Who knows... SDL purchased Amptran in 1995 and Deja-Vu was developed from 1993 I think and Idiom in 1998. When did Amptran start? They already had a pedigree before SDL acquired them so maybe everyone copied them... apart from Trados of course.

Not this matters too much as the entire industry is very incestuous and will of course take ideas from each other to continually improve. To get back to this subject of DWB and why we have discontinued it. Studio is the platform we are focusing on and this year there is a particular focus (amongst other things) on enhancing the integration between Studio and WorldServer and also on making sure that users of IDIOM DWB get as many of the features they are missing at the moment as possible. Not everything will be possible as Studio uses a filebased system rather than a databased backend, but with many other things going on around us I think this will become a moot point anyway!

Regards

Paul

Direct link

United States
English to German
+ ...
Listen to your customers Jan 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

SDL has always been a very acquisitive company and when you do this you end up with a tremendous number of software applications. Many of these applications are good but it would be impossible to maintain them all, and you need to consider that in order to be able to continue to support the users of these different software applications you have to eventually find a common ground.

Please decide who your target market it shall be and what kind of customers you would actually like to serve - compared to "pretending to serve". You have lost the loyalty of the majority of your users long ago by counting on the forced requirements by agencies and mainstream applications. The least you can do is to please rename your products to AAAT (Agency Administration Assisting Tools).

Direct link

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL is greedy Jan 18, 2013

This is business so nothing wrong. SDL sells products to freelancers and agencies but what is that free Desktop WorkBench! Stop any development, kill DWB and sell more Studio licenses to translators. Great!

Bilngual RTF and TTX were easy file formats for competitors, so develop a new format - SDLXLIFF. Again easy? Acquire another CAT company, make another format. So easy for SDL. And there are still some agencies using SDLX.

What an abundance of SDL formats. Why don't you buy and kill all CAT tools, really?

Anyway, solution needed here. My best client switched to WorldServer and possibly their client will not be happy with the quality of translations made in WorldServer. I must find a good CAT hopping method to reduce the risk.

Direct link

United States
English to German
+ ...
Is that your strategy? Jan 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

SDL has always been a very acquisitive company and when you do this you end up with a tremendous number of software applications. Many of these applications are good but it would be impossible to maintain them all, and you need to consider that in order to be able to continue to support the users of these different software applications you have to eventually find a common ground.

You must be kidding. You aim to be the Walmart of the translation industry.

"We are SDL. You must be assimilated.
Resistance is futile."

Direct link

United Kingdom
English
If I didn't know better... Jan 18, 2013

... I'd think it was April the first. I'm reminded of a quote from Mark Twain... certainly you're beating me with your experience!

I think I'll stop responding to this particular thread and leave you experts on CAT tool strategy to your own devices.

Have a good weekend.

Paul

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

latest version of WorldServer Desktop Workbench

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search