r-lts.com
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 18, 2013

I have read the posts on this link:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/91259-whats_a_ttx_file.html

However, I still don't exactly know that this is. I have no CAT Tool translation experience, I have only recently downloaded OmegaT but still don't know how to use it.

My client asked me to translate PPT documents into TTX.

I need to know in non-jargon terms that how exactly I can do that without Trados?

Please help. Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:04
English
You can't... Jan 18, 2013

... as far as I know, at least not if the TTX is meant for Trados and it probably is. TTX is a bilingual file created by Trados Workbench or Trados TagEditor.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-01-18 15:01 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't really create them without Trados Jan 18, 2013

ivy_oops wrote:
I have only recently downloaded OmegaT but still don't know how to use it.
My client asked me to translate PPT documents into TTX.
I need to know in non-jargon terms that how exactly I can do that without Trados?

As far as I know, only Trados 2007 can reliably generate TTX files. In fact, as far as I know, versions of Trados *after* 2007 can't generate TTX files either. Other CAT tools (and Trados 2009/11) may claim to be able to translate TTX files, but only Trados can create those files in the first place, and only Trados can convert the TTX files back to the original file format.

If you can somehow lay your hands on a 30-day trial version of Trados 2007, you should be able to convert the PPT file to TTX. You may get lucky here, but be quick about it.

What you can also do is to tell the client that you can translate TTX files but that you don't have Trados itself, and then ask him if he can generate the TTX files for you. Odds are that if your client wants the translation in TTX format, then he has the ability to deal with TTX files himself (unless he's also a mere middleman...).

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:04
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Once you have the TTX files, use the free TTXpress... Jan 19, 2013

for converting them to bilingual rtf, translate them (WordFast will do the trick) and then converting them back to ttx.

By the way, I have a demo of TRADOS 2007 Freelancer somewhere in an old PC. Just write me privately and I will send the TTxpress and/or TRADOS demo to you.

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create TTX file without Trados

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search