Astrid76  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:40
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 19, 2013

Hi,

I have received a project which I should work on, (I am working with Trados Studio 2009), but I am not able to open the .sdlproj package.
If I click on the project itself, I get the message: "The selected project could not be opened".
And if I try to open the package via "Open package" in Studio 2009 itself, I can only open packages with an ending like: .sdlppx, .sdlrpx, .ttp, .stppk and .wsxz. I don't have the possibility to open an .sdlproj document.
I have searched for updates, but according to this I am using the newest version. Now I have no idea, how to open this package, and I would be grateful if there's somebody out there, that can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Versions Mismatch? Jan 19, 2013

Hello Astrid,
could it be that the project was created with Studio 2011?

Also, the usual workflow includes project packages (SDLPPX), not just sharing the project folder. The SDLPROJ file is not a project package: it's a project settings file (contains e.g. the paths to TMs and TBs etc.).

You could, however, use the TMs and SDLXLIFF files to create a new project in your version of Studio and send the translated SDLXLIFF files back to your client.

Astrid76  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No mismatch.... Jan 19, 2013

Dear Stanislav,

thanks for your tips. I know I can open the document itself, and create a new package, but I was just wondering if there's a way how to solve this problem. As far as I know, the project has been created with 2009 also, so that shouldn't be the problem.
But I will start making a new project, otherwise I won't manage getting the document translated in time.

Thanks for your help and have a nice weekend,
Astrid

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check the paths Jan 20, 2013

Hi,

As Stanislav mentions, you probably can't open it due to the fact that the tipycal workflow involves a package (SDLPPX) not a project file (SDLPROJ).

The SDLPROJ file keeps the paths to TMs of the project creator's machine, so probably they won't match the paths where su saved the files on your machine. For example, if you open the SDLPROJ file (with Notepad, for example) and look for this text "MainTranslationProviderItem", probably you'll see you don't have that path for the main TM on your machine.

You can try to save the project file using the same original path (recreate the folder structure as needed), but fot teh future I think it's easier to ask for a 2009 package instead and forget about projects.

Regards,

... Jesús Prieto ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open .sdlproj in SDL Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search