Trados Freelance 2007 - ttx file - shrink segments not working
Thread poster: xxxjacana54
xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2013

Hello,

I'm working in Tag Editor with a .ttx file which is all I received.

In several parts, but specially when translating content that I can see in a web page, I would need to shrink/split segments.

For example the ttx file reads:

AaaXXXyyy

whereas it should be

Aaa
XXX
yyy

I simply cannot get the "shrink segment" command to work.

I did read the manual and some previous forum discussions on this site and wasn't able to find a solution.

What I can do is add Bold to XXX and hopefully that will open the layout person's eyes to what is going on (and I will obviously send it with a note too).

I am not able to add line breaks.

Needless to say, this is producing a bad result, is making me waste a lot of time and will make the layout person waste a lot of time too.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:51
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
BOLD = CTRL+B Jan 19, 2013

Hi Lucia,

You should highlight the word(s) and then add the bold formatting with CTRL+B (CTRL+I for italics).
Splitting or shrinking segments depend on the original format of the file and (as far as I know) there's nothing you can do about it if they are not available.
In my opinion, if you received the ttx file from the client you shouldn't worry, he/she will know about these issues. Just list the segments which need any correction in DTP stage and write a note to the DTP person (and send it to the client with the delivery).

Good luck!

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 19, 2013

Dear Laura,

Yes, this is what I've done so far but it's very reassuring to hear that there's not much more that I can do.

Thanks!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 2007 - ttx file - shrink segments not working

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search