Thread poster: xxxPLR TRADUZIO
xxxPLR TRADUZIO  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:02
English to French
+ ...
Jan 20, 2013

Dear all,

In Trados Studio 2011, I'm know unable to save target.
This problem arrived recently and I don't how it can be caused.

When I "SAVE TARGET AS", Trados save the file, but in the end of the process I have the following error message:

Failed to save target content: Eceezione generata dalla destinazione di una chiamata (I guess: exception generated by the destination of a call ?)

type System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

Helplink

Source mscorlib

and so on...

Can someone help me ?

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
File Type Jan 20, 2013

Hi,

What type of file are you trying to save?

Italy
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bilingual saved as target (save target as....) Jan 20, 2013

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Hi,

What type of file are you trying to save?

I try to save the bilingual as target
Thanks

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
File Type Jan 20, 2013

Is it a Word file or any other type of file? Word files are a known issue (.doc) if it's a doc file, try and save it as .docx and recreate a new project but need more info.

Thanks,

Bernard

Italy
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TXT Jan 20, 2013

As far as I know, I do not have choices for saving: "SAVE TARGET AS" saves in TXT !

Just to make it clear:

1/ open TRADOS STUDIO 2011
2/ Open a Document (a Word file)
3/ translate it
4/ SAVE all (the bilingual is saved in the dir I choose
5/ SAVE TARGET AS .....(the default unic format is TX), I name the file as "target", then TRADOS saves the file but actually it is not saved and I have the error message reported above.

[Edited at 2013-01-20 21:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-20 21:57 GMT]

UPDATE: the source file (to translate) is a TXT, then the saved target is proposed as TXT

I tried to make up a new project, with a DOCS file and it works fine; so the problem is linked to this specific file.

Thanks again for you help

[Edited at 2013-01-20 22:28 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
No problem Jan 21, 2013

Save All saves to an SDL XLIFF file, not to a bilingual document; whereas Save Target saves the target translation in the format of the source document, as a "clean" document. If the source document is a .txt, then the target will be a .txt: if it is .docx, then it will be .docx; however, if source is .pdf, target will be docx. But they won´t be bilingual documents. AFAIK, Studio 2011 cannot produce a bilingual file. For that you will have to use TagEditor, in the Suite 2007 which you should have together with your Studio 2011.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 00:42 GMT]

Italy
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still... Jan 21, 2013

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Save All saves to an SDL XLIFF file, not to a bilingual document; whereas Save Target saves the target translation in the format of the source document, as a "clean" document. If the source document is a .txt, then the target will be a .txt: if it is .docx, then it will be .docx; however, if source is .pdf, target will be docx. But they won´t be bilingual documents. AFAIK, Studio 2011 cannot produce a bilingual file. For that you will have to use TagEditor, in the Suite 2007 which you should have together with your Studio 2011.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 00:42 GMT]

Hy Luisa,

Thanks for your help, but I'm in trouble.

You said: "Save All saves to an SDL XLIFF file" exactly. This is whay I have and what I improperly called "bilingual" because this is the file the agency often ask for, and they call it "bilingual", although it is a TRADOS file.

The source is a TXT and the "save target as" is a TXT yes !
I never had problem so far with these TXT and this agency ! I think I already translated more than 20 files this way for them.

My concern today is that when I say "save traget as", a file is saved, but I got the error message I reported in the here.

Also, the "strange think" is that, in the file saved, when I open it, first Word says that there's a problem on the file and that is visualization is protected. But if open it, I notice that the inital part of the file is translated (into FR) and the rest (about 90%) remains as original in EN.

Can someone help ?

Many thanks all

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Why a target? Jan 21, 2013

I've had the same error, or similar. If you check the Errors tab it would tell you what segment is causing the problem, however, when it has happened to me (with files from one particular client), I have not been able to produce a target, and we have agreed that they would do it.

If your client asked for an SLDXLIFF file, why do you want a target for?

I recognize this is not a permanent solution, but if they did not ask for a target, deliver what the client asked for and take some time to research the issue.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 15:02 GMT]

Italy
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jan 21, 2013

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

I've had the same error, or similar. If you check the Errors tab it would tell you what segment is causing the problem, however, when it has happened to me (with files from one particular client), I have not been able to produce a target, and we have agreed that they would do it.

If your client asked for an SLDXLIFF file, why do you want a target for?

I recognize this is not a permanent solution, but if they did not ask for a target, deliver what the client asked for and take some time to research the issue.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 15:02 GMT]

Luisa I do not need an SLDXLIFF file for the client. I need a target because the client uses Wordfast (that I don't have) and, in alternative, provides me with a bilingual table (letf source, right empty for target).
I translate this table with my trados (and my TM !!!....) and paste the target into the right column.

In any case, I solved the problem: there was line in the original document that "blocks" trados.
As I mentioned before, at a certain point the target file produced when "SAVE TARGET AS" turns back to original EN: I removed this sentence from the table and solved the problem !

There's nothing special in this sentence ! Who knows why it blocks Trados !?

Sounds incredible ! I spent 2 hours yesterday going around and ProZ and forums about Trados issues...and solved in 10 seconds

Thanks all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to save target

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search