Need help on translating on word 2010 for trados 2007
Thread poster: r-lts.com

r-lts.com
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 21, 2013

I have tried the trick to stick the trados8.dotm file into the STARTUP folder of Word 2010.

There is a few problems once I started trying using it:
1. Whenever i open Word 2013 a message pops out that says "Macros have been disabled." When I clicked Enable Content it is gone.
2. The Trados icons did come up - However, when I tried to clicked set/close, I thought the source languages on the file will be replaced by the translated segment. However, it didn't happen. Both source and target languages are right next to each other with a little tag-like looking thing in between.

I am only using Trial version to see if it is worthwhile to invest, but if I can't get Trados work on my Word I don't see the point of buying it.

3. Will Trados 2011 be able to syn. with Word 2010?

Please help. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
Finnish to French
Support for Trados 2007 Jan 22, 2013

ivy_oops wrote:
I have tried the trick to stick the trados8.dotm file into the STARTUP folder of Word 2010.

There is a few problems once I started trying using it:
1. Whenever i open Word 2013 a message pops out that says "Macros have been disabled." When I clicked Enable Content it is gone.
2. The Trados icons did come up - However, when I tried to clicked set/close, I thought the source languages on the file will be replaced by the translated segment. However, it didn't happen. Both source and target languages are right next to each other with a little tag-like looking thing in between.

I am only using Trial version to see if it is worthwhile to invest, but if I can't get Trados work on my Word I don't see the point of buying it.

Hopefully you have realized that:

1. The development of Trados 2007 stopped in 2008
2. Its support by SDL ended on 31-Dec-2012
3. It can only be purchased as part of SDL Trados Studio 2011 (list price of the bundle 2011+2007: 995 euros)

Based on the above, and if you want a translation tool that works inside MS Word, you may want to consider alternatives such as Wordfast Classic or MetaTexis:

1. They continue to be developed
2. They continue to be supported
3. They are much cheaper: 29 to 139 euros for MetaTexis, 200 or 400 euros for Wordfast Classic (depending on where you live).

Wordfast Classic works without problems with Word 2013 and Word 2010. I believe the same applies to MetaTexis.
ivy_oops wrote:
3. Will Trados 2011 be able to syn. with Word 2010?

Studio 2011 is a standalone tool that doesn't require MS Office at all in order to work. It can translate documents created by Word 2010, and if Word 2010 is installed, it can use some of its services, eg. its spellchecker.

And there is no need to speak of it in the future tense: it has been around for almost two years already and it will probably be replaced by Studio 2013 later on this year.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:12
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
If you want to seriously try TRADOS you should download the latest trial version Jan 23, 2013

You can find it here: http://www.sdl.com/campaign/lt/sdl-trados-studio-30day-free-trial.html

Good luck! TRADOS is certainly not the mos user-friendly tool to learn. I support in full the advise from Dominique.

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help on translating on word 2010 for trados 2007

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search