Thread poster: Yasuyuki Arai
Yasuyuki Arai
Yasuyuki Arai  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
Member (2022)
English to Japanese
Jan 22, 2013

Hi,

When I work on Trados 2007 TagEditor with Workbench with Multiterm 2011 and open a translation unit, Workbench doesn't indicate with the red lines some of (not all, but 10-20% of) terms that are registered in Multiterm.

However when I select the term and command "search inside Multiterm", they show up in the Multiterm pop up window.

I search term recognition option for the solution and other settings, but I could not find any way out of this situation.
... See more
Hi,

When I work on Trados 2007 TagEditor with Workbench with Multiterm 2011 and open a translation unit, Workbench doesn't indicate with the red lines some of (not all, but 10-20% of) terms that are registered in Multiterm.

However when I select the term and command "search inside Multiterm", they show up in the Multiterm pop up window.

I search term recognition option for the solution and other settings, but I could not find any way out of this situation.

So far I can't see the common points in these unindicated terms, but many are with symbols such as , / . while others without symbols and merely a set of alphabets.

I would really appreciate if anyone shows me the way out of this.

Thanks.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Finnish to French
Examples? Jan 23, 2013

boniyasu wrote:
So far I can't see the common points in these unindicated terms, but many are with symbols such as , / . while others without symbols and merely a set of alphabets.

Can you give concrete examples of terms that fail to be recognized? How are they entered in Multiterm and in what form do they occur in the text you are translating? What language is this? Terminology recognition in SDL's tools isn't optimal with heavily inflected source languages, you may have to adjust fuzziness: if it's set too high, it will miss some terms, if it's too low, it will return false positives.

Yasuyuki Arai
Member (2022)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Dominique, Jan 23, 2013

Thank you for your reply,

This is English to Japanese.

Some terms were added manually from Workbench and some others via import.

On Workbench window, whole text of translation unit is displayed but some registered terms are not indicated.

For example from what I'm working on;
liquid fatty phase - all "liquid", "fatty", "phase", "fatty phase" and "liquid fatty phase" are registered but not indicated on Workbench window with red line, howev
... See more
Thank you for your reply,

This is English to Japanese.

Some terms were added manually from Workbench and some others via import.

On Workbench window, whole text of translation unit is displayed but some registered terms are not indicated.

For example from what I'm working on;
liquid fatty phase - all "liquid", "fatty", "phase", "fatty phase" and "liquid fatty phase" are registered but not indicated on Workbench window with red line, however pop up on MT window if selected and "search within Multiterm".
Other examples are "or", "and/or", "aqueous phase", "concealer product", "antisun product", "U.S. Pat. No.", "lip makeup products" and so many others with or without symbols.

I can't count the number of non-indicated terms but I guess it is form hundreds to around 1,000.

I tried the adjustment of fuzziness from 10% to 100% but practically made no difference.

[Edited at 2013-01-23 09:55 GMT]
Collapse

Yasuyuki Arai
Member (2022)
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
I got the answer Jan 31, 2013

I got the answer from SDL, so I post it here for reference.

"Known limitation/feature of term recognition. To reduce search space and improve performance,

the algorithm assumes that anything that occurs in a sentence more than 3 times is not a term but

a function word. We can change the limit, but there can be significant performance hits depending on

the nature of the segments and terms."

So if you h
... See more
I got the answer from SDL, so I post it here for reference.

"Known limitation/feature of term recognition. To reduce search space and improve performance,

the algorithm assumes that anything that occurs in a sentence more than 3 times is not a term but

a function word. We can change the limit, but there can be significant performance hits depending on

the nature of the segments and terms."

So if you have a word or words repeating 4 times or more in the translation unit, the word/words and terms including the word is ignored by workbench.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench doesn't indicate some of matches in MT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »