mh1019
mh1019  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:49
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 24, 2013

Hello

I have Trados Studio 2009 and Indesign CS6, but I don't think they are compatible.

Trados won't open IDML exported from INDD, and I just found out Trados 2009 is compatible with CS2/3/4 only...

Is there any way I can work with these two software? It's so frustrating that I have both programs but cannot use them because they're just not compatible.

If a client gives me INDD work, how can I work with it in this case? Seems like I should a
... See more
Hello

I have Trados Studio 2009 and Indesign CS6, but I don't think they are compatible.

Trados won't open IDML exported from INDD, and I just found out Trados 2009 is compatible with CS2/3/4 only...

Is there any way I can work with these two software? It's so frustrating that I have both programs but cannot use them because they're just not compatible.

If a client gives me INDD work, how can I work with it in this case? Seems like I should ask a client for an IDML exported from CS4, is this right? I want to make sure Trados 2009 can open IDML exported from CS4. Also, can I open the file in CS6 after finishing translating in Trados?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cindy

[Edited at 2013-01-24 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Time to update to 2011? Jan 24, 2013

I just today finished a project with idml-files in Studio 2011, and all was very smooth. 2009 has more restrictions.

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:49
English to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 not supported Jan 25, 2013

Dear Cindy,
You are right in that INDD cannot be processed by Studio, but once clients appreciate how easy it is to produce IDMLs, there are no problems there.

As Heinrich writes, you'll have to move up to 2011 to handle the latest incarnations of inDesign. I find this policy rather questionable on SDL's part, as they always continue to "support" the previous version of their software. But not providing service packs for new data formats is not what I would call support.
... See more
Dear Cindy,
You are right in that INDD cannot be processed by Studio, but once clients appreciate how easy it is to produce IDMLs, there are no problems there.

As Heinrich writes, you'll have to move up to 2011 to handle the latest incarnations of inDesign. I find this policy rather questionable on SDL's part, as they always continue to "support" the previous version of their software. But not providing service packs for new data formats is not what I would call support.
-Mike-
Collapse

mh1019
mh1019  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:49
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can Trados 2009 open IDML exported from Indesign CS4 Jan 26, 2013

Thank you everyone. Upgrading to Trados 2011 sounds like the best solution.

But, I still have one more question.

Can Trados 2009 open IDML exported from Indesign CS4?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work with Trados Studio 2009 and Indesign CS6

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »