Thread poster: Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:50
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2013

No specific reason or error number was given.
When installing the update, I get:

"Update failed. There was an error while applying the update.

Fatal error during installation.

If you do not wish the application to update itself automatically, you can turn updates off in Tools > Options > Automatic Updates."

I found similar posts in this forum, but no response was given by SDL support team. So, what is actually going on with this error?

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:50
English to French
+ ...
More Info Needed Jan 26, 2013

Hi Adrian,

Could you tell me what your OS is - Java version, etc. - if your OS is Windows 7 (should be similar in other OSs), go to C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm9\Updates\UpdateLog.txt. Open the txt file and check for error messages.

Also, make sure the update you downloaded is not corrupt and that both Studio and MultiTerm read SP2 (MultiTerm should be 9.2.361.0 and Studio 10.4.3056.0)

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-26 22
... See more
Hi Adrian,

Could you tell me what your OS is - Java version, etc. - if your OS is Windows 7 (should be similar in other OSs), go to C:\ProgramData\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm9\Updates\UpdateLog.txt. Open the txt file and check for error messages.

Also, make sure the update you downloaded is not corrupt and that both Studio and MultiTerm read SP2 (MultiTerm should be 9.2.361.0 and Studio 10.4.3056.0)

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-26 22:08 GMT]
Collapse

Adrian Prasetya
Indonesia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
error given has no specific reason Jan 27, 2013

My OS is Win7 Ultimate
My Java is version 7 update 11, and I already customized the restriction level (Solution 3) as recommended in http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4645&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

The error, like I said before, is vague, there's no error number, no specific reason. Here's what it says in the log:
2013/01/25 20:59:37 Error applying
... See more
My OS is Win7 Ultimate
My Java is version 7 update 11, and I already customized the restriction level (Solution 3) as recommended in http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4645&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

The error, like I said before, is vague, there's no error number, no specific reason. Here's what it says in the log:
2013/01/25 20:59:37 Error applying update to SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Core. Fatal error during installation.
2013/01/25 20:59:37 There was an error while applying the update. Fatal error during installation.

Same thing.

I'm running SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2R (10.4.3056.0) and SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 (9.2.361.0), but the MultiTerm is detecting an update for the Core (9.2.375.0) and Word Integration (9.2.372.0) and it's these updates that failed.
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Files Updated Jan 27, 2013

The following files get updated:

ProgramFilesFolder\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Util.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Filter.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Server.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.TMO.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Util.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Editor\script\input.js
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Edi
... See more
The following files get updated:

ProgramFilesFolder\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Util.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Filter.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Server.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.TMO.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Sdl.MultiTerm.Util.dll
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Editor\script\input.js
CommonFilesFolder\SDL\MultiTerm9\Editor\lib\multiterm-mtixedit-1.0.jar
In %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\SDL\MultiTerm8\Updates directory: MultiTermUpdateClient.exe and MultiTermUpdateClient.dat.

Cumulative update 1 for MultiTerm Microsoft Word Integration: Word Integration installer version updated to 9.2.372.
Changes to AppDataFolder\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\MultiTerm9.dotm and ProgramFilesFolder\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm9\Templates\MultiTerm9.dotm

Try and download the following file from the SDL site: MultiTerm2011SP2_CUs.zip and Run as Administrator.

The above files get updated on my PC but the version # is still 9.2.361.0 - I updated both my Vista 32-bit Pro and Windows 7 64-bit PCs. What is still really annoying about this update is that it copies MultiTerm9.dotm into the Word\Startup folder on my Win 7 64-bit machine with MS-Office 2010 64-bit which is known to cause problems as the macro is 32-bit. The update should detect what MS-Office version is installed and avoid copying it when the MS-Word version is 64-bit.

Java version is 6.24 (32-bit).

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-27 16:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-27 16:40 GMT]
Collapse

Adrian Prasetya
Indonesia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
link? Jan 28, 2013

Thanks, Bernard, but I couldn't find MultiTerm2011SP2_CUs.zip, do you have the link?

Also, I forgot to mention that my Win7 is 32-bit not 64-bit like yours. Does that update patch work for 32-bit?

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Link Jan 28, 2013

Hi Adrian,

Here's the link: http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4603#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4603
The zip file is found under Attachments (RH pane). Studio is a 32-bit application so it should work.

Bernard

Adrian Prasetya
Indonesia
Indonesian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 29, 2013

Thanks Bernard!

I've updated the MTCore and MTWordIntegration with the files on your link, but the auto-update still detects that MTCore needs to be updated (maybe because, as you said, the version # doesn't change). Which sucks, coz I don't want to turn off the auto-update, but it's going to keep popping up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL MultiTerm 2011 update failed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »