FM11 with Trados
Thread poster: jens wencker
jens wencker
jens wencker  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2013

I just received FM 11 files from one of my clients. I am about to purchase FM 11, but for now I downloaded the trial version. I saved my FM 11 files to mif 11. I opened them in an editor and Replaced "MIFFile 10.0" to "MIFFile 9.0", since I know that mif 9 files work OK with S-Tagger.
Is that the way to go with FM 11 files or will I have a hard time with the formatting?

Has anybody experience with FM 11 files?

Thanks,
Jens

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:29
English to French
+ ...
MIF Jan 28, 2013

Hi Jens,

I'm miffed about your approach (sorry for the poor pun). You want to buy FM11 but use Trados to translate the files. I've translated large mif files (FM11) (over 80,000 words in a single file) and found the following:

Studio 2011 is ok but slow even on a Quad with 4GB of RAM
DéjàVuX2 is much faster with the option of Autosearch portions
Alchemy Publisher 3.0 opens fm files without having to convert to mif if FM11 is installed on your PC
... See more
Hi Jens,

I'm miffed about your approach (sorry for the poor pun). You want to buy FM11 but use Trados to translate the files. I've translated large mif files (FM11) (over 80,000 words in a single file) and found the following:

Studio 2011 is ok but slow even on a Quad with 4GB of RAM
DéjàVuX2 is much faster with the option of Autosearch portions
Alchemy Publisher 3.0 opens fm files without having to convert to mif if FM11 is installed on your PC

You can download trial versions of the above and see what suits you best.

Haven't encountered any major formatting issues with either of the above TMs, except for length, i.e. if the pages are full pages and/or contain tables, graphics to be edited, etc. you'll need to reformat the pages, takes about a day for a large manual - English to French, so you'll have the same issue in German, nicer the other way round.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-01-28 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FM11 with Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »