Thread poster: Russell Keeley

Russell Keeley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2013

Hello,

I’ve come across an annoying little ‘quirk’ in Studio 2009 when working with TTX files lately and I was wondering if anybody has come across this and if anyone could suggest why it might be happening? I’m running Studio 2009 Professional version 9.1.2307.8, which Studio has just told me is the latest version.

I have found that for TTXs created from certain file formats, simply opening and resaving the file in Studio is peppering the files full of unnecessary tags that more often than not corrupt them beyond repair.

To give an example, below is a TTX created from a FrameMaker MIF v7, prepared using S-Tagger. Before meeting Studio, the file looks like this in Tag Editor:

After simply opening the TTX using Open Document and then resaving the target file, without touching anything whatsoever, the file now looks like this:

Studio has gone to town adding tags where tags should not be. It has added them to both the source and the target (as well as externally), so no errors come up when verifying. In fact, this particular file made it all the way back to a clean FM file without generating any errors or warnings, before we noticed there was something seriously wrong with it.

I’ve also seen a similar thing happen with an html.ttx file, which contained a few non-HTML tags that sent Studio on a tag-adding frenzy.

This doesn’t appear to happen with 2011, so that would be the obvious workaround for this, but it would be nice if 2009 could handle my TTXs without destroying them as well.

Any help would very much appreciated!

Russell

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 08:34
English
Smart tag pairing mode Jan 29, 2013

Hi Russell,

it looks like Studio 2009 is processing TTX files in smart tag pairing mode rather than in compatibility mode.

To get to this setting, with no document or project open in SDL Trados Studio, go to Tools -
Options - File Types - TRADOStag - Compatibility

Regards,

Lorenzo

[Edited at 2013-01-29 14:16 GMT]

Russell Keeley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Smart tag pairing is the answer! Jan 29, 2013

Hi Lorenzo,

That does indeed seem to have done the trick!

It looks like this smart tag pairing is not as smart as it thinks it is.

Thanks for the help!

Russell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 corrupting TTX files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search