Thread poster: Christelle Maginot
Christelle Maginot
United States
Local time: 21:22
English to French
+ ...
Jan 31, 2013

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to edit (delete mostly) entries in the spell check dictionary of a given language.

I'm using 2011 SDL Studio.

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
CUSTOM.dic file Jan 31, 2013

If you have not changed Studio 2011ʼs default option of using its own spellcheck ‘extras’ file (compiled of the words you manually approved to be added to the dictionary), you can delete these by navigating to CUSTOM.dic (a .txt file located at C:\ [username path for your logon] \AppData\Roaming\SDL\SpellChecker — itʼs handy to have a shortcut to that file on your desktop, I find), deleting the unwanted entries, and then subtracting the number of entries you deleted from the number appearing in the top line of the file (quicker in most cases than counting the number of entries that remain when youʼve finished and manually overtyping that value, unless youʼre paring down the entries to nearly zero).

If you have changed the default option so that spellchecking is done using the MS Word dictionaries, you have of course to fiddle with those instead.

Alexander C. Thomson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Languages Jan 31, 2013

On re-reading, it strikes me that maybe the problem youʼre having is that youʼre getting interference in spellchecking because ‘wrong’ words are not being caught because they are valid words in a language whose Microsoft Proofing Tools are installed on your computer. Right? If so, uninstalling the Proofing Tools for that language would be the way to go about it.

Christelle Maginot
United States
Local time: 21:22
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 31, 2013

Thank you. SDL/SpellChecker/CUSTOM is exactly what I needed to find.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit spell check dictionary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search