Studio 2011 SP2R can't open Word 2013 documents
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:08
Finnish to French
Jan 31, 2013

Office 2013 was released a couple of days ago, but if you create a document with it (eg. converting a PDF) or get one created in it from your client, you won't be able to open that document in Studio 2011, even with the latest updates from SDL icon_frown.gifhttp://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/01/31/sdl-trados-studio-2011-cant-open-word-2013-documents/
or
http://youtu.be/A81Alfdsick?hd=1

OTOH, six other tools (memoQ, Wordfast Pro, Déjà Vu, CafeTran, Heartsome, Swordfish) didn't seem to have any problem opening the same document.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:08
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wait for Studio 2013 Feb 1, 2013

I'm sure soon there would be the new release... there is a new Trados SDL version each two years.

Regards

Clarisa

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Fix to Studio 2011 Feb 1, 2013

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I'm sure soon there would be the new release... there is a new Trados SDL version each two years.

Given that there is no fundamental change in the DOCX format used by Word 2013 compared to the one used by Word 2010/2007 and that the release of Studio 2013 is probably several months away, I'm pretty sure we'll see a fix to Studio 2011 before that.

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
DIY fix Feb 1, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Given that there is no fundamental change in the DOCX format used by Word 2013 compared to the one used by Word 2010/2007 and that the release of Studio 2013 is probably several months away, I'm pretty sure we'll see a fix to Studio 2011 before that.

Actually, you can fix it yourself, until SDL does it in Studio:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/02/01/how-to-open-word-2013-docx-in-studio-2011/
or
http://youtu.be/yyS0Cp9F4PE?hd=1

Don't know if this workaround would do the trick with every single Word 2013 DOCX, but it did work with my sample document icon_wink.gif

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:08
English
Or... Feb 2, 2013

... save the file in Words compatibility mode for 2010 first, or even opening and saving from 2010 itself. We will of course resolve this, probably with a Cumulative Update, so not waiting for the next Service Pack. I'll drop a post in here when it's available.

Regards

Paul

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
compatibility Feb 2, 2013

SDL Support wrote:
... save the file in Words compatibility mode for 2010 first

There is no such option as "compatibility mode for 2010" in Word 2013, or at least I couldn't find it. In the File type dropdown menu in File > Save as, there are only two options for DOCX: DOCX and Strict Open XML. With the first one, the document remains a native 2013 document. With the second one, Studio gives the following error message:

Studio,%20strict%20Open%20XML.png

Saving as DOC or RTF helps, but although it won't cause problems with many documents, it's not the same format as DOCX.
SDL Support wrote:
, or even opening and saving from 2010 itself.

Sure, but I would assume most people who upgraded to 2013 replaced 2010 when doing so.

Rasmus Jakobsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
No news yet? Mar 16, 2013

It still doesn't work. Trados doesn't recognize the format of 2013 documents and sets the filetype as unknown. This is really bad and a deal breaker for upcoming versions of Trados. We're talking months here, where Trados hasn't supported ordinary word/excel documents.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Yes it does Mar 16, 2013

You need CU8... either from the KB or via the Studio autoupdate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 SP2R can't open Word 2013 documents

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search