France
Local time: 22:17
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2013

Hi everyone,

For the past few days I have been receiving this message when I open Studio:

"Update failed. Information about the automatic update could not be downloaded. The update server may not be available.

An error occurred while trying to open the HTTP file."

Same message if I try "check updates".

Anyone know what is going on?

Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same here Feb 11, 2013

No idea what's happening, but I keep getting the same error message.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Server Migration and Maintenance Work Feb 11, 2013

Hi,

We migrated many servers to a new location over the weekend and some of them have given us a few unexpected problems so they are not back online yet. Our IT teams are working on this and hope to have everything resolved as soon as possible.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards

Paul

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Feb 11, 2013

Good luck sorting it out!

(Sorry, I know "luck" shouldn't really be a factor....).

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:17
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
fallout from server migration Feb 11, 2013

Not only do I get the same error message, but two of my email addresses have been badly affected by various server migrations. Quite frustrating when these things happen - out of the blue - for unsuspecting users who suddenly find their services disrupted. I started to think that the snow in the UK had caused some sort of 'electric storm' wreaking havoc with the Internet.

Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Still the same problem today Feb 12, 2013

I still have the same problem today, so it is not solved yet. Am updating from Germany.

Also I am glad I found this topic here, as I cannot find anything about this issue on the SDL website.

Regards,

Mirjam

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post

United Kingdom
English
Studio Update Server Feb 12, 2013

Hi,

Over the weekend we moved many of the servers that SDL use for different parts of the business to a new location. In general the move was successful, but there were some unexpected side effects that the IT teams are still working to effectively resolve. One of these relates to the Studio update server that provides the automatic updates whenever you start Studio.

I'm hopeful this will be resolved soon but in the meantime the solution for you having to close the message when you start Studio up, if it's too irritating, is to disable the automatic updates.

If you have installed a version of studio recently and wish to apply the updates than please visit the Knowledgebase and manually download the appropriate updates for your version so you will be able to apply them yourself.

Studio 2011
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3978&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Studio 2009
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3229&source=article&c=12&cid=23

I'll post a message into this forum once the update server becomes available again.

Kind regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Automatic Updates Feb 12, 2013

Hi,

The problem has been resolved and you should now all be able to use the automatic update. It didn't work the first time for me and I had to reboot my computer, but this didn't happen to anyone else I have spoken to.

Let me know if you encounter any problems now.

Regards

Paul

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Thanks... Feb 12, 2013

it's working again now...

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
Er... Feb 27, 2013

...I don't think so. I'm still frequently getting the update failed / server not found message when opening Studio 2009 and always when opening Multiterm. Any news?

Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Still not solved...? Apr 9, 2014

Hi, I know it's considered bad form to revive ancient threads. However, I've had the message switched off ever since I bought Studio 2014 in January. However, I would like to update at some point, so I tried the "check for updates" button and it STILL gives the same message.

Is there any solution by now, more than a year after the server migration which caused the initial problems?

Thanks!

United Kingdom
English
It’s not bad form if it’s still a problem Apr 9, 2014

Hi Astrid,

This isn’t an ongoing problem. If you get this message then either you have a problem with your internet connection, or our server was temporarily down. I have not seen any reports of problems today so I don't think the problem is our end... but maybe try again later?

Has this been a consistent problem for ever since the original thread? If it has then I think it really does point towards a problem at your end... maybe you have some security software preventing the connection perhaps?

Regards

Paul

Astrid_H  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It's been a consistent problem Apr 9, 2014

Hi Paul,

thanks for the quick reply!
The internet connection is fine, and firewalls have been edited to let any SDL exe through. Antivirus was also disabled temporarily to check whether this was the problem, but to no avail.

I just tried again and it still displays the same message. I've only had Trados Freelance since the 2014 version (used Trados 2006 TeamWorks on a network before that), so I can't speak for the other versions, but for the last 3 months it has been a consistent problem.

I've also been unable to access BeGlobal as I remember now, so maybe I need to allow more than just the SDL exe files through the firewall? I'm only guessing here.

It's not too urgent right now, but any hint is appreciated!

Regards
Astrid

United Kingdom
English
Corporate or at home? Apr 9, 2014

Hi Astrid,

If you are working inside a domain at the office (just guessing as you mentioned TeamWorks) then I’d recommend you speak to your IT department. If you are at home, and if you don't have a support contract then the solution finder is the way to go so an engineer can take a quick look at your setup and perhaps see where the problem might be.

Drop me an email if you don't see how to do this with the solution finder so I have your details and I’ll do this on your behalf.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updates for Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search