Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 14, 2013

G'day everyone

I have to edit a TTX file that was translated by someone else. If the TTX file is to be believed, the tranlsators used TagEditor version 8. The file itself is an IDML file that was converted to SDLXLIFF and then to TTX (don't ask!). I find that the tags in the target text of this file are often slightly different from the ones in the source text, and I'm not sure whether I should spend time "fixing" all of them.

Below is an example -- this is from a segment marked as a 100% match, so it is possible that this segment wasn't translated by the human but by some pre-translate process.

In TagEditor, it looks like this:

You'll notice that the two tags are not the same, but they look very similar. The tag in the target text has a pointy nose. If I copy/paste the tag from the source to the target, then the copied tag has a flat nose, like the one in the source text.

The tag difference is also visible in the TTX file itself:

I know next to nothing about TTX's XML, but would you consider these two tags to be the same tag, i.e. that can be left as-is in an edited version, or do you think that I should replace the current target text tag with a copy of the source text tag?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:49
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
And what the Tag Verifier says? Feb 14, 2013

For me the source and target tags are not the same. You right, the CAT juggling for IDML files is a risky business.

I would run the Tag Verifier first.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Verifier Feb 14, 2013

Jorge Payan wrote:
I would run the Tag Verifier first.

The tag verifier does not complain (the tag verifier does complain if I remove the tag altogether, though). This is what's odd, though -- tag verifier says the above-mentioned tag mismatch is not an error in terms of the tag rules that are checked by default.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone else? Feb 17, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
I find that the tags in the target text of this file are often slightly different from the ones in the source text, and I'm not sure whether I should spend time "fixing" all of them.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Should I complain to the agency (since I had to fix 90% of segments with internal tags, in this job ), or is this actually normal in TagEditor? Unfortunately I have no access to the translator to ask him/her what on earth he/she did to get it like this.

Here is another example of a tag mismatch from the file (this is what the TTX file looks like when I use colours to mark the different elements):

Notice how the first UT of the source text is encapsulated by a DF, but in the target text is is not. Yet TagEditor does not complain about this when I run the tag validator. Does that mean that this source text is perfectly translated, despite the fact that the tags are clearly different?

[Edited at 2013-02-17 20:16 GMT]

MO-TS  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mystery solved yet? Jun 21, 2013

Hi Samuel, did you find the solution to this mystery yet?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slightly different tag in TagEditor file's source and target

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search