PerfectMatch with changed target segment
Thread poster: bungholio

bungholio
German to English
Feb 20, 2013

I am trying to solve the following situation. Any advice appreciated.

We are trying to leverage PerfectMatch here at the company but are running into some problems. The problem occurs if someone has corrected/changed a target segment in memory. It is likely that the respective unit has already been used in a previous file and is stored as such in our SDLXLIFF repository for PerfectMatch.

If we receive the same file later and Apply PerfectMatch, Trados Studio 2011 will simply use the old target segment (the incorrect one) instead of checking memory to see if the unit might possibly have been changed in the meantime. I understand that this is the basic functionality of PerfectMatch, and I also understand that it probably was not designed for this particular use case.

My problem is that there is no automated way to detect when this situation occurs. I would like some sort of function that checks ALL of the units in a document to make sure that they match the unit in memory. I can only think of pre-translating the file "as is" without applying PerfectMatch, which then kind of defeats the purpose of PM to begin with.

I am finding it hard to believe that there isn't a verify option to check all segments (even context matches / PerfectMatches) in a translated document against the current TM.

If anyone has worked with Tag Editor, you will recognize this functionality at once. You could Alt-* your way through a document and the editor would ALWAYS stop when it reached a unit that was different than the unit in memory.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help/advice!

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
PerfectMatch with changed target segment Feb 25, 2013

*Bump* as I am still wondering if there is a fix for this. I also think it raises a good issue about checking translations against an open TM. Does anyone have any information?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English
Use the same functionality? Feb 25, 2013

Hi,

You are referring to Translate to Fuzzy and this is available in Studio 2011 as well. The default shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+F

Interesting that you are Perfect Matching with documents that are not "perfect" thoughicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
NOT Translate to Fuzzy Feb 25, 2013

While I do understand that something shouldn't be saved as a PerfectMatch unless it is indeed "Perfect", there are times during translations when you want to change a target segment, whether it's something as banal as a missing punctuation mark, even a misspelled word that slips through the cracks, etc. When you're dealing with hundreds of manuals with min. 40,000 words each in multiple languages, one or two mistakes are bound to slip through no matter how hard you try to find them all.

The current solution would look something like this.

1) Correct the offending unit in memory.

2) Run a search (I am currently using PHiSearch) on all your saved SDLXLIFF files to find which manuals have the offending unit.

3) Open up the project in Trados Studio if you still have the original project data. Or get the new data from wherever your source is (if possible). I imagine you can't change the SDLXLIFF files directly in a text editor like you *should* be able to, for obvious reasons, though I could be wrong about this.

4) Save the project after making the change in Trados and copy the SDLXLIFF files over the originals so that PerfectMatch will be correct.

I would venture to say that it would be MUCH easier to have a function that existed pre-Studio 2009 in Workbench/Word that would VERIFY the existing units in a document that are confirmed/CM/PM/locked, etc. against an open TM. That Studio doesn't have a function like this (and in fact REMOVED it), it beyond me.

Translate to Fuzzy is NOT what I am looking for, as I am not going to spend time going through every single line in a 40,000+ word document.

This is a step backwards in my opinion. If I were a programmer, I would develop an app for this for OpenExchange, but alas...icon_frown.gif

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English
No idea then? Feb 26, 2013

Hi smatter,

I really have no idea then. Can you perhaps educate me in these older products? The closest I can find in TagEditor is Alt+Num* which isn't what you said, and this also related to "Translate to Fuzzy" which you say it is not:

Thanks

Paul

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Mar 4, 2013

I stand corrected, thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PerfectMatch with changed target segment

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search