Changing apostrophe in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:02
Member (2015)
German to English
Feb 21, 2013

Sorry but as I haven't had a reply owing to my incorrect posting, I'm entering a new question with the correct topic subject.

At the moment the default setting for me in Studio is a straight apostrophe but the client requires a curly apostrophe.

By the word "Queen's ", the apostrophe for me is a straight one but I need a curly one instead.

A different client requires the straight one and straight quotation marks which Studio gives in its default setting.

So, I need to find the setting to alter these.

RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:02
German to English
Manual entry only Feb 22, 2013

Unfortunately you can't change the default setting to curly apostrophes and quotation marks. This is something we (and I think others) have been urging SDL to correct, but don't hold your breath...

So you can either enter your curly apostrophe directly using Alt+0146, or define one of the spare buttons as your "curly apostrophe" button (just like the default "curly quotation marks" button).

Robin

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Robin, Feb 22, 2013

well at least that helps a little. What a shame it's not already been sorted.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
about apostrophes Feb 23, 2013

This is a bit off the topic but I have done numerous, very long translations in which the apostrophe was the only item that changed a 100% match to a fuzzy. Is there a way to obviate this?
Eileen

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Using a little script Feb 23, 2013

M00nshine wrote:
At the moment the default setting for me in Studio is a straight apostrophe but the client requires a curly apostrophe. ... A different client requires the straight one and straight quotation marks which Studio gives in its default setting.

Some time ago I had to help colleagues who used Idiom who had the same problem, so I wrote a little script that lets you type curly quotes and apostophes using special keys. It should also work for Studio. Essentially, to type a curly apostrophe, press Shift+Crl+).

http://wikisend.com/download/430882/idiomhotkeys_v4a.zip

CarrieRooster
Polish to English
+ ...
Secret codes Sep 10, 2013

Where do you find those secret "Alt +" codes? Is there a list somewhere?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
List of secret codes Sep 10, 2013

CarrieRooster wrote:

Where do you find those secret "Alt +" codes? Is there a list somewhere?

Oh yes, there are lots of lists here:
http://tinyurl.com/oqxk8rf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing apostrophe in Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search