Changing apostrophe in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:21
Member (2015)
German to English
Feb 21, 2013

Sorry but as I haven't had a reply owing to my incorrect posting, I'm entering a new question with the correct topic subject.

At the moment the default setting for me in Studio is a straight apostrophe but the client requires a curly apostrophe.

By the word "Queen's ", the apostrophe for me is a straight one but I need a curly one instead.

A different client requires the straight one and straight quotation marks which Studio gives in its default setting.

So, I need to find the setting to alter these.

RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
German to English
Manual entry only Feb 22, 2013

Unfortunately you can't change the default setting to curly apostrophes and quotation marks. This is something we (and I think others) have been urging SDL to correct, but don't hold your breath...

So you can either enter your curly apostrophe directly using Alt+0146, or define one of the spare buttons as your "curly apostrophe" button (just like the default "curly quotation marks" button).

Robin

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Robin, Feb 22, 2013

well at least that helps a little. What a shame it's not already been sorted.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
about apostrophes Feb 23, 2013

This is a bit off the topic but I have done numerous, very long translations in which the apostrophe was the only item that changed a 100% match to a fuzzy. Is there a way to obviate this?
Eileen

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Using a little script Feb 23, 2013

M00nshine wrote:
At the moment the default setting for me in Studio is a straight apostrophe but the client requires a curly apostrophe. ... A different client requires the straight one and straight quotation marks which Studio gives in its default setting.

Some time ago I had to help colleagues who used Idiom who had the same problem, so I wrote a little script that lets you type curly quotes and apostophes using special keys. It should also work for Studio. Essentially, to type a curly apostrophe, press Shift+Crl+).

http://wikisend.com/download/430882/idiomhotkeys_v4a.zip

CarrieRooster
Polish to English
+ ...
Secret codes Sep 10, 2013

Where do you find those secret "Alt +" codes? Is there a list somewhere?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
List of secret codes Sep 10, 2013

CarrieRooster wrote:

Where do you find those secret "Alt +" codes? Is there a list somewhere?

Oh yes, there are lots of lists here:
http://tinyurl.com/oqxk8rf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing apostrophe in Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search