Studio Freelance 2011 Error message when converting PDF files into Translatable Format
Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani

Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
English to French
+ ...
Feb 24, 2013

Hi,

When running 'Convert into Translatable Format' in Studio Freelance 2011 on 16 PDF files, I am getting the following error message:
[Failed in Framework.dll PdfConverterCreat (0) == Fail]

I had no errror message with 1 Powerpoint file

What could it be?
Any quick solution? (I need to give my client a wordscount tomorrow morning).

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards,

Claire

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:57
English to French
+ ...
Ctrl+A Feb 24, 2013

Hi Claire

May be your files are scanned files - try Ctrl+A and paste into Word from your clipboard - should give you the word count - if it doesn't, it's definitely a scanned file. You would need to OCR it - try FineReader.

HTH,

Bernard

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - no scanned file Feb 25, 2013

Hi Bernard,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.
I've done as you said and it is not a scanned file. The file content copied nicely into Word and I did get the wordscount.

Any idea what else it could be?

Kind regards,
Claire

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:57
English to French
+ ...
Wild Guess Feb 25, 2013

I assume that the pdf was created from a Framemaker file (you can check in Reader under Properties, should tell you what the source file was), maybe the version it was created with is not supported by the Studio converter but should convert it to Word.

Anyway, my approach is that I simply refuse to translate pdfs and ask my clients to provide me with the source files as regardless how good the conversion tool is - it"s never as good as the source file(s).

Bernard

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Belated thank you Mar 4, 2013

Thank you for your help, Bernard.
I am sure your tip will help me another time!

Next time, I'll check first whether the files have been scanned or not.:-)

Kind regards,
Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Freelance 2011 Error message when converting PDF files into Translatable Format

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search