New to working with InDesign files in Studio 2011 - what to watch for?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2013

Hi all,

What are the common pitfalls when working with InDesign files in Studio 2011? I've never dealt with this file type, but a customer may offer me such a project soon, so I want to prepare.

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:03
German to Swedish
+ ...
Look out for Feb 25, 2013

Customers who think that the Indesign file will look fine with no tweaking.
Depending on the complexity of the document, there may be very extensive layout post-production required.

Also, be sure to look at the finished layouts while translating, so that your copy has at least some remote chance of fitting the space.

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Take care Feb 25, 2013

Joakim Braun wrote:

Customers who think that the Indesign file will look fine with no tweaking.
Depending on the complexity of the document, there may be very extensive layout post-production required.

Also, be sure to look at the finished layouts while translating, so that your copy has at least some remote chance of fitting the space.

A translator who thinks that the Indesign file will look fine with no tweaking has lost his client.

Just like in Powerpoint, texts can be longer than the boxes, especially if source language is English. Texts can flow from the first column to the second, and from one page into another, thus creating supplementary pages, white spaces, pagination problems and so on.
The translator should have the same screen fonts as the client.
Ask the client for a PDF of the file to be translated and check with a copy of Indesign (there is a trial version 1 month).

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Good idea Feb 26, 2013

Yes, checking the result in Indesign (with the correct fonts installed) is a good idea.

However, that doesn't mean that post-production is not required, but that the translator does the bulk of it, using up a lot more time (paid?) than a design professional would.

And if the translator isn't at least on a semi-professional Indesign level, there will still be tons of tinkering left to do in a serious document (hyphenations, minor text flow issues and so on).

[Bearbeitet am 2013-02-26 11:58 GMT]

bmurphy  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:03
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
working with indesign - turn it down or add a hefty surcharge Apr 10, 2013

I've done a few indesign jobs, one very large (100k words). I'm very adept at learning new software, having worked in IT before becoming a freelance translator - even so, my advice is to steer well clear of Indesign jobs, unless you can agree the following with the client:

- the translation is paid separately from formatting the final documents.
- any missing fonts must be supplied by the client, or the client accepts the default replacement fonts applied by IDD. Otherwise you'll be to-ing and fro-ing on the internet looking for free alternatives, which the client may not be happy with.
- any inserts (tables, charts) must be supplied in editable format.
- come to some arrangement for the time spent on graphic work/formatting/final presentation - i.e. hourly rate, or add a 20-30% surcharge to the per word rate for the translation.

I don't intend to take on any more ID work unless clients agree to, for example, 0.1 Euro/word for an equivalent tariff of .08 Euro/word.

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delivered it Apr 10, 2013

I would like to thank all of you for your insights. In fact, I have just delivered this job, and due to its nature (the IDML files themselves contained little text, most of it was on the embedded pictures which I had to OCR) we agreed on delivering it as Word review files from Studio. All DTP work will be the customer's responsibility.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to working with InDesign files in Studio 2011 - what to watch for?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search