Off topic: Easy way to build TM with bilingual Word files not translated using TM software
Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani

Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2013

Hi,

I've been working for two clients who require that I insert the translation under the source text in the same Word file.

I now want to create a TM with Studio 2011 for the vast number of files I delivered.

I know how to use WinAlign but you need two files - 1 source, 1 target.

Is there anyway I can create a TM using these bilingual files without manually creating new separate source and target files for each file to feed them to WinAlign?

Thanks in advance,
Claire

[Edited at 2013-02-25 11:57 GMT]

ricciona
Local time: 07:07
Turkish to Italian
+ ...
if the language format between source and target is different, you can Feb 25, 2013

hi! if the source and target texts have different language formats, you can create two seperate files to be aligned simply by one click... i can't think of any other solutions without alignment but this one that i'm suggesting should be quite quick though...

[Edited at 2013-02-25 14:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-25 14:46 GMT]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 07:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not easy Feb 25, 2013

This can probably be done, but it will not be a task where you click Next->Next->Next->Finish. It requires a fair bit of creative thinking and a fair bit of manual work. The more you do of the former the less you need of the latter.
The important step is separating the source text from the target text, and of course this needs to be automated as much as possible. It all hinges on what those files look like exactly and how consistent they are. For instance, did you write your translation in a different format from the original? E.g. in blue letters or on a yellow background? How many line breaks are there before and after each target segment?
The approach that is most likely to work is: convert to txt, remove empty lines, then move every second line to a different column. Then do a manual review, fix errors, and generate a TMX file (NOT with WinAlign).
If you post a sample file, I'll have a look and possibly give you more detailed instructions.

[Edited at 2013-02-25 14:30 GMT]

Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Belated thank you Mar 4, 2013

Thank you both for your input.
I was hoping there would be an easy solution but I guess I'll just have to take the time!
But yes, saving each file as a source/target file then aligning them with WinAlign seems the most straightforwardicon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Kind regards,
Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy way to build TM with bilingual Word files not translated using TM software

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search