Hans Näslund
Sweden
Local time: 09:19
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2013

Today I got a new problem with Studio 2011:

I am using Studio 2011 SP 2 latest edition. I just delivered a translation done with Studio 2011, where the term recognition feature worked perfectly. After that, I opened a new project from the same translation agency, for the same end customer, and with the same termbase – but now the term recognition does not work at all: there are no red marks over terms that definitely do exist in the TB, and no results are available in the term recognition window, and a termbase search from the term recognition window gives no results.

If I go back to the pervious project, the term recognition still works there – as it does in all my previous projects.

I know that there are several threads in this forum dealing with similar problems, but my problem is not identical with those.

I suspect there may be something wrong with the translation package I got from the translation agency – but is there no way that I could remedy that?

Any suggestions? I do need help!

bewley  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
French to English
+ ...
possible solution Feb 26, 2013

I had the same problem. I just updated java and now my termbases magically work again. I hope this helps someone

Hans Näslund
Sweden
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java was not the problem for me Feb 26, 2013

... I guessed that it night have been a Java problem, so I updated my Java, but that did not help in my case.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Same problem Feb 26, 2013

My term recognition stopped working yesterday, and since I was being asked to update my Java, I updated this morning.
Term recognition still doesn't work. I tried to remove the new Java version, to go back a couple of versions, but I've discovered that I get an error message in Windows Control Panel: "Error opening installation log file".
Not sure what to do now...

Update:
Term recognition is now miraculously working again!
Now, the only issue I have is that when I want to add a term to my TB, I get a Java message asking "Do you want to run this application", and although I mark the box "Do not ask again for this application", I'm still getting asked the same thing each time I add a term.

[Edited at 2013-02-26 10:49 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
Finnish to French
Version of Java? Feb 26, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Update:
Term recognition is now miraculously working again!
Now, the only issue I have is that when I want to add a term to my TB, I get a Java message asking "Do you want to run this application", and although I mark the box "Do not ask again for this application", I'm still getting asked the same thing each time I add a term.

What version of Java are you using, as reported by "Java -version" on the command line, or by www.java.com: the latest one, or an older one you reverted to?

And while on the subject of Java: does anyone know why Studio and MultiTerm need Java to interact, given that neither is a Java application? I was under the impression the main advantage of Java is its portability to other platforms, but then Studio and MultiTerm are Windows-only applications. Was Java already used for terminology recognition back in the "old" Trados' days?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
KB articles Feb 26, 2013

Dear Emma

This article might help to workaround the message:
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4645&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Cheers
Richard

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Problem solved! Feb 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Great, thanks very much Richard! I've customised the Java safety level settings as suggested in the link and the "Do you want to run this application" pop-up message has stopped appearing.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
What version of Java are you using?

I updated to v 7 update 15 (I've been on v 7 update 10 until now).
It's still a bit worrying that I can't uninstall Java if I want to, but at least it's working well with Studio now.

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 07:19
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL please get rid of Java!!! Mar 10, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Great, thanks very much Richard! I've customised the Java safety level settings as suggested in the link and the "Do you want to run this application" pop-up message has stopped appearing.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
What version of Java are you using?

I updated to v 7 update 15 (I've been on v 7 update 10 until now).
It's still a bit worrying that I can't uninstall Java if I want to, but at least it's working well with Studio now.

I am responding to all of you. I updated to Java 1.7, got all the problem described here and in other forum topics, and modified my Java safety settings.
It's working but every hour Termview crashes. It takes more than 5 minutes to restart Trados and that occurs about every hour, so that is a productivity loss of 5/60 with the already soooo low rates nowadays.
I have gone back to Java 1.6 now, risking security of my computer.
SDL ... please, please, please, get rid of that Java in your software. It's not normal that you rely on Java, a software you don't control.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TermInjector Mar 10, 2013

Try TermInjector from Tommi Nieminen, download from OpenExchange - can really boost your productivity as it enhances concordance and more. Simple example if your translation contains the following string:

Click OK to delete document and updated string is Click OK to delete form
Enter the following string in a rule file
form form document
and document will automatically get replaced with form in Editor View
or form formulaire document when translating into French

For further details, see Tommi's help file and Paul's blog.

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-03-10 18:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition stopped working in Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search