https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244568-trados_2007_and_studio_2009_which_office_version.html

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 - which Office version?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2013

I am looking to upgrade my Office version and would like to hear if anyone has had any compatibility issues between Office 2007, 2010 or 2013 and Trados 2007/Studio 2009. My research so far has revealed that Office 365 is the only one currently presenting problems. My operating system is Windows 7. Thank you.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
French to Polish
+ ...
Caveats Mar 6, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my Office version and would like to hear if anyone has had any compatibility issues between Office 2007, 2010 or 2013 and Trados 2007/Studio 2009. My research so far has revealed that Office 365 is the only one currently presenting problems.

Nope.
Neither Office 2013 is handled.
E.g. see:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244513-cumulative_update_8_support_for_office_2013_documents.html

Buy O2010 as long it's available.

I understand you still have Office 2003 (or earlier).
Don't throw it, Trados sometimes generates files which can't be opened with Word 2007 (or later).
Word 2003 does, one must only acknowledge a warning message.

Cheers
GG

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Running them in parallel Mar 6, 2013

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I am looking to upgrade my Office version and would like to hear if anyone has had any compatibility issues between Office 2007, 2010 or 2013 and Trados 2007/Studio 2009. My research so far has revealed that Office 365 is the only one currently presenting problems.

Nope.
Neither Office 2013 is handled.
E.g. see:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/244513-cumulative_update_8_support_for_office_2013_documents.html

Buy O2010 as long it's available.

I understand you still have Office 2003 (or earlier).
Don't throw it, Trados sometimes generates files which can't be opened with Word 2007 (or later).
Word 2003 does, one must only acknowledge a warning message.

Cheers
GG

Thanks Grzegorz.

I do indeed have 2003 and haven't upgraded precisely because I find it works perfectly. I operate a "If it ain't broke..." policy to I.T. I hope I'll be able to keep 2003 on my main machine. My problem however has become running certain spreadsheets with macros created in later versions of Excel - it's obviously time for an upgrade. I realise this may be a dumb question but if you run the two in parallel, do files automatically open in the version they were created/last saved in?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Separate machines... Mar 6, 2013

I do indeed have 2003 and haven't upgraded precisely because I find it works perfectly. I operate a "If it ain't broke..." policy to I.T. I hope I'll be able to keep 2003 on my main machine. My problem however has become running certain spreadsheets with macros created in later versions of Excel - it's obviously time for an upgrade.

Yes, some advanced features may be incompatible.
But, I must admit, I use always O2003 if possible, the new Office GUI style (ribbon menu) is terribly counterproductive...

I realise this may be a dumb question but if you run the two in parallel, do files automatically open in the version they were created/last saved in?

It's not a dumb question because at least two scenarios are possible.
I.e. in your case, the last used version will be invoked but it's annoying 'cause the newest Office versions detect changes and reregister their components, it may take few minutes.
It's possibly to hack it using the registry editor. see e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447 but the results may be somehow unpredictable and it's better to avoid it.
It's better to have two separate machines.

Cheers
GG

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2011 now supports MS 2013 Mar 6, 2013

That's not the case any more.
The latest Studio 2011 cumulative update (release last week) includes support for Office 2013 documents.
http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4536&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Not sure about Studio 2009 though...

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trial version? Mar 6, 2013

Thanks again Grzegorz. Separate machines is certainly an option as I do have more than one.

So can we safely assume that 2010 will be fine with Trados 2007? I cannot find a link to a reliable trial version of 2010. I assume that Microsoft has now done away with it since it's been superseded by later versions.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it works Mar 6, 2013

So can we safely assume that 2010 will be fine with Trados 2007?

Yes, it works.
I have O2010 on my main machine.

Nonetheless, if you use T2007 within Word:
- install the 32-bit Office version (in fact, it's installed by default),
- you'll need to copy the Trados template in the correct place (easy).

I cannot find a link to a reliable trial version of 2010.
I assume that Microsoft has now done away with it since it's been superseded by later versions.

Of course...

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 - which Office version?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »