Studio 2011- Translation with some obstacles...
Thread poster: Helena Diaz del Real

Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:12
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2013

Dear fellows,
I have a problem with a new translation I am doing right now. I work with Trados Studio 2011.

The text I've got is already partially translated. I have no Memory for this, unfortunately. Further this text includes many, many tags.

Sometimes, I have to translate what is in between both tags and sometimes I have to leave it as it is. For this, I copy the original sentence from the original text (by pressing the button with 2 arrows, red and green, building a circle) and then I delete what I don't need. There I put my translation.

My problem is that it takes me a lot of time to delete what I have to translate, taking much care about not to do so with what it must remain. And I know, there must be another way for me to work much faster!

Can you give me, please, some advice and suggestions how to achieve this?
I thank you very much!

All the best,
Helena
PS: The file I've got is "sdlxliff"

[Edited at 2013-03-07 00:23 GMT]

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:12
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
I do the same as you! Mar 7, 2013

Hi there Helena,

I do the same as you, I copy source to target, then I translate, deleting the source as I go.

I think this is probably the fastest way to work, especially if you have a lot of tags, as at least this way the tags are all copied and in place.

Did you want a way of just copying the tags over to the target segment automatically, without the text? I don't know if this is possible!

Does anyone know?

Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh! Great! Mar 7, 2013

Hi Filipa,
thank you very much for your answer!

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:

Hi there Helena,
I do the same as you, I copy source to target, then I translate, deleting the source as I go.

Great! icon_smile.gif

I think this is probably the fastest way to work, especially if you have a lot of tags, as at least this way the tags are all copied and in place.

I think so, too.

Did you want a way of just copying the tags over to the target segment automatically, without the text? I don't know if this is possible!

I hoped someone could tell me, that there is a much faster way to copy the tags as I go and this recognizes at the same time the changes in the type of letters (bold, cursive,...). But well it seems to me, that the answer is no.

At any case, thank you very much for your comment and your thoughts!

All the best,
Helena

[Edited at 2013-03-07 14:43 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Some ideas Mar 7, 2013

Helena Diaz del Real wrote:

The text I've got is already partially translated. I have no Memory for this, unfortunately.

If you already have a translation for some of it, you may find it's worth aligning the two documents with Winalign, exporting the result as tmx and importing it into your TM.

This text includes many, many tags.

If your original text is really littered with tags, they might be rogue tags from an OCR conversion. Check out my blog post on tag soups, to see if it applies to your text: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/06/15/tag-soup-in-trados-studio/

I copy the original sentence from the original text (by pressing the button with 2 arrows, red and green, building a circle)

Yes, that's a good idea. Use the short cut instead of pressing the button (I customised my shortcut, so I'm afraid I can't remember the original one).
Better still, copy all source to target with ctrl+alt+ins.

There must be another way for me to work much faster! Can you give me, please, some advice and suggestions how to achieve this?

Well, you could pick out the tags using ctrl+comma. Studio will usually offer you the tags in the order they appear in a drop-down list. If there aren't too many tags, it's a good method.

Alternatively, write the translation, highlight the words that will go between the tags, and then click ctrl+left mouse click in the source segment to copy the tag pair in one go.

Hope that helps a little?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011- Translation with some obstacles...

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search