WinAlign and Embedded text blocks in Word drawings
Thread poster: Cheryl Taylor

Cheryl Taylor
Local time: 20:56
Mar 6, 2013

I'm using WinAlign to realign some previously translated documents from Word 2010 to create TM in Trados 2011.

For the most part, it works great....however, I'm breaking a cardinal rule about illustrations. I use drawing frames in Word and import my illustrations into the drawing frame, then put text frames in the same drawing frame for the text. When WinAlign creates the file to align, anything in the drawing frame is skipped.

Is there any way to make WinAlign recognize these embedded text frames too?

As it is now, I'm opening both my source file and my translated files and have to insert segments into WinAlign to add those translation units to the alignment file....needless-to-say....this is a slow process.

Anyone got ANY ideas on a way to get WinAlign to recognize these text blocks?

Cheryl

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to French
+ ...
WinAlign Mar 6, 2013

WinAlign is not the most efficient tool to align files. Try this link: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/184708-new_free_open_source_aligner_for_windows_os_x_and_linux.html

Cheryl Taylor
Local time: 20:56
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't answer my question Mar 7, 2013

I'd like to know how to fix what I've already done. Not start over with a new tool. Thank you anyway. Maybe I'll look at the new tool on my next project, but for now I need to salvage what I have already done.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to French
+ ...
Grouping Mar 7, 2013

Are your text boxes grouped in the drawings? If so, you need to ungroup them. I've just tested a similar file and when grouped the strings don't show up when aligned. However, they're imported when creating a Studio project.

HTH,

Bernard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign and Embedded text blocks in Word drawings

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search