studio 2011: en dash has become period in source and target texts
Thread poster: xxxS E

xxxS E
Italy
Local time: 01:04
Italian to English
Mar 7, 2013

Hi,

I am working with a .docx file in Studio 2011. In the .docx document itself, there are en dashes. In the Studio 2011 editor window, these en dashes have all turned into periods (in the source text).

When I try to insert an en dash in the target text, what actually gets inserted is a period. And when I try the shortcut "control minus", this gets inserted: ¬ . The same thing - ¬ - gets insered when I click the ¬ button (which I checked just to be sure the ¬ button did not produce an en dash).

I have the latest update, which I installed yesterday. The same problem was there, however, before I installed the update.

Does anyone have any idea what on earth this is all about?

I can't even cut and paste an en dash from a brand-new .docx document: what gets pasted into the Studio editor field is a period!

This is driving me crazy. I cannot go through the whole translated Word file searching for periods that should be en dashes. That is ridiculous. And yet what option do I have until this problem is fixed? There goes my time savings, using Trados.

Trados is great in many ways (that's why I use it), but this combined with the curly quote issue (having to use quick insert to insert curly quotes) is fast becoming a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance to all who might be able to help out, especially someone from SDL!

Sarah


 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:04
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
First thing to check Mar 7, 2013

would be font(s) and keyboard language.

Also, if the translated document has been converted from PDF, it would be highly advisable to check and correct the fonts in the source document before opening it in Studio. Most probably the source document contains some fonts that are absent in your computer.


 

xxxS E
Italy
Local time: 01:04
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Natalie - that fixed it! Mar 7, 2013

Thank you Natalie - your suggestion made it possible for me to fix the problem immediately.

The .docx file was in fact created from an .xls file that uses the font MS Sans Serif, which I have in Excel but apparently not in Word (both Office 2010).

Following your suggestions, I saved the .docx file using the font MS Reference Sans Serif and fed it to Trados - problem solved!

Many many thanks. I will keep this in mind for future reference. Really useful information.

Sarah


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

studio 2011: en dash has become period in source and target texts

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search