Thread poster: Corinne Le Gallic

Corinne Le Gallic  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:30
Member (2013)
English to French
Mar 7, 2013

Hi,
I am new to Trados. When I happen to lose the original's text format, how do I get it back to paste in the translation? I can't seem to find a copy format button or anything similar...
Thanks!
Corinne

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:30
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Which version? Mar 7, 2013

You need to tell us which Trados you're using, and at which stage you lose the original formatting.
Then someone might be able to help!

Mohamed Mahmoud  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:30
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Version -- File format-- Mar 7, 2013

Dear Kindly let us know the version you use and the format of source files

Kindly explain your issue more than this to get the best help

Australia
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Details on help needed formatting in Trados Mar 7, 2013

I use Trados 2011 SP2.
I am translating a book. Orifignal file is in word.
This happens for instance when the first letter of the original is a large font capital letter at the beginning of a sentence / chapter. If the translation is not matching this letter, I have to delete it to type in the right word. It is at this point that I lose the particular format of this letter.
I suppose my question could just be: how do I change the format (font, font size and colour in particular, of my translated text within Trados)?
Thanks for trying to help!
Cheers,
Corinne

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:30
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Quick ways out Mar 8, 2013

One way: ALT+Insert to copy the source segment to the target segment. Overwrite the word with your translation, respecting the formatting of that first letter, and that of the rest of the word. Delete the rest of the copied sentence, and translate it.

Another way: Translate the segment and select the letter. CTRL+, and apply the highlighted formatting, which should correspond to the specific format in the source segment. Repeat for the rest of the word/sentence.

Australia
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 8, 2013

Thanks Luisa, this helped.
Cheers,
Corinne

Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 01:30
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keyboards without a (+) key Jul 16, 2013

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Another way: Translate the segment and select the letter. CTRL+, and apply the highlighted formatting, which should correspond to the specific format in the source segment. Repeat for the rest of the word/sentence.

Thank you Luisa, the first way worked. But I prefer the second method, however my laptop is small and its keyboard doesn't have a num pad, I have a key with both = & + but using it with CTRL didn't copy the source segment's format. Is there another shortcut to overcome this problem?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with formatting in Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search