Purchase of Trados Studio
Thread poster: annarigano

annarigano
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 7, 2013

Hi there, I would like to buy Trados Studio but I am puzzled by the different offers: Studio Plus or not Plus, Studio Plus AND Trados 7 Suite ... Quick Start or not quick start... what should one buy, what does one need? I am a bit confused. Also, is Quick Start a training in how to use Studio? Will I need to follow an online training as well or not?
AND
What specs are needed on the PC in order to install Studio?
MANY THANKS to whoever feels like replying to me!!
Anna Rigano (Italian translator)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
English
Questions... Mar 7, 2013

annarigano wrote:

Hi there, I would like to buy Trados Studio but I am puzzled by the different offers: Studio Plus or not Plus, Studio Plus AND Trados 7 Suite ... Quick Start or not quick start... what should one buy, what does one need? I am a bit confused. Also, is Quick Start a training in how to use Studio? Will I need to follow an online training as well or not?
AND
What specs are needed on the PC in order to install Studio?
MANY THANKS to whoever feels like replying to me!!
Anna Rigano (Italian translator)

Hi,

SDL Trados Studio Plus refers to the ability to license Studio on another computer at the same time.
SDL Trados 2007 Suite is the legacy product that Studio is replacing.
QuickStart provides you with a login to a community, like this one, where you can get help and also find lots of resources to help you get started.

Whether you need training or not depends on your experience, how good you are at following instructions provided in all the online resources available. However, I thin it would be a good idea to do some basic training if you have never used a tool like this before so you have some idea of how things should work.

The min recommended spec is here (although I think 4Gb RAM as a min is better):

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2553&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Operating system requirements are here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=2552&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Full release notes with all the stuff you need to know are here:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4374&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

annarigano
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados Plus or Not Mar 7, 2013

Dear Paul,
I am touched by your reply and by the fact that I actually got a reply and so quickly. Thank you for that . I wiil read it again a few times so I can get everything in. I am an experienced translator, I have been a translator for nearly 20 years so I should not complain, but I have been using SDLX for a few years and I am new to Trados. Now it seems that all of a sudden all agencies are asking for Trados. Being quite old I don't particularly like learning all these new tricks but I realise I have to otherwise i will be left behind and with no work. So I will buy Studio but I don't think i need Trados 7 (why should i want the earluer version? ). Can I buy Studio without Quick Start? I think I will probably need the online trainign that they offer for 99 dollars ... Thanks Paul, what languages do you do?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
English
Languages? Mar 7, 2013

Hi Anna,

I would have to confess to only doing the language of SDL Trados... and a few other tools! I'm surrounded by languages other than English, even with a bilingual family, but I don't translate myself.

I guess you probably can purchase Studio without QuickStart but I'd be surprised if it made that much difference to the price. This is really aimed at helping people to use the software and we have experienced users as well as learners in this environment.

There are a couple of reasons for still needing the older software:

1. If you have to connect directly to an older TM Server or MultiTerm Server solution.
2. If you are preparing bilingual doc or TTX files (fully segmented) for your clients
3. If you get a lot of work in old dtp formats that are so old Studio doesn't support them
4. If you just like to work with the older tools occasionally and don't have the final version

I think that's about it... so if none of these apply then you're right. Don't take SDL Trados 2007.

Regards

Paul

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
No issues transitioning to Trados Mar 7, 2013

While I had much experience with other tools (MemoQ, WFP, Trados 2007), I "studiously" (pun intended!) avoided transitioning to Trados Studio because it seemed so intimidating compared to older versions, and had been hearing many complaints about Studio 2009 over the years. I finally took the plunge this year after several customers announced they were requiring it. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised - everything was intuitive and the conceptual transition from other tools required only minimal effort. I've really only scratched the surface of its capabilities so far, but I was easily able to import a TM, translate one document and edit another without looking at the manual at all.

Courage, Anna! You'll do fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchase of Trados Studio

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search