Trados 2009 - Repetitions not being properly counted
Thread poster: CazzaC
Mar 7, 2013

Dear All

Perhaps somebody could assist me with this.

I created a new project, added 6 files to it, ran the analysis and got 15 repetitions.

I then had to do some edits in one of the docs, in Word. So I removed this doc. from the project, did the edits and added it back in again, then ran the analysis again and got 18 repetitions (this was as expected).

After translating two of the files I then had to do some edits on another one of the source files (not one of the translated ones).

I therefore removed this file from the project, made the edits, then added it back to the project and analysed again.

Suddenly I got only 5 repetitions across all 6 files. This cannot be true, there are definitely more repetitions then this.

To test the repetitions, I created a new project, added the 6 files in my first project to it and analysed and got 28 repetitions, in line with my expectations.

So why are these repetitions not showing up in the analysis of my first project?

Any ideas? I am clueless.

With thanks in advance,

CazzaC

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
English
Analysis Mar 8, 2013

Hi,

If you are able to reproduce this consistently by following the same steps I'd love to take a look at it? In the meantime the only suggestion I can offer is maybe you only selected one file when you ran the analysis? It is possible to analyse one or more files in a Project rather than the entire project itself.

Regards

Paul

CazzaC

TOPIC STARTER
Repetitions Mar 8, 2013

Thank you for the reply, Paul.

Yes, all 6 files were definitely analysed (the number of files analysed is visible in the report as you no doubt know).

No idea really why this is- I cannot get back on to Trados till Saturday or Monday (I use it at university) and face some time in the lab trying to figure out why this has happened and how I can rectifiy it.

I asked one of our resident researchers today but she cannot offer any advice either.

I have repeated the analysis three times and each time, only 5 reps appeared.

At least if I knew I had made a mistake I could rectify it, but the same steps in the new project produced the correct number of reps.

Is it perhaps because I have translated some of the files already and the reps are being recognised as matches?

I am sure that this should not be the case but I have no other ideas.

It is mighty frustrating as I need screenshots of the analysis showing the total number of repetitions - but the screenshot needs to be done in the project where the texts are translated so that the matches are visible, too.

Thanks again!

United Kingdom
English
That would be it... Mar 8, 2013

CazzaC wrote:

Is it perhaps because I have translated some of the files already and the reps are being recognised as matches?

I am sure that this should not be the case but I have no other ideas.

Hi,

If you translate a repetition then from now on it will be a 100% match and so will all the rest.

Regards

Paul

CazzaC

TOPIC STARTER
Repetitions becoming matches once translated Mar 8, 2013

Ahh I see. This is not what I had been led to believe but it does make sense and the report certainly shows a high number of 100% matches so that is reassuring.

Thanks for your input.

I shall probably copy and paste your answer into the report I have to create, I hope that is ok.

Thanks again,

CazzaC

United Kingdom
English
Of course... Mar 8, 2013

CazzaC wrote:

I shall probably copy and paste your answer into the report I have to create, I hope that is ok.

... just put the cheque in the posticon_smile.gif

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 - Repetitions not being properly counted

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search