TXML now supported by Studio
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Finnish to French
Mar 11, 2013

A new OpenExchange application adds support for the TXML format (bilingual file format of Wordfast Pro) to Studio 2011:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=371


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
for 2011 only? Mar 11, 2013

Hi Dominique,

Is that the application Paul mentioned in MemoQ group (or in another list)? Does it work with Studio 2011 only?

Selcuk


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Studio compatibility Mar 11, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Is that the application Paul mentioned in MemoQ group (or in another list)?

Yes, that's the one! It was beta at the time, now it has been released with several enhancements, for instance support for generic language codes like "EN" or "FR", which Studio doesn't know about.
Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Does it work with Studio 2011 only?

All I know is that only Studio 2011 is listed on the OpenExchange site. As I don't have Studio 2009 installed anywhere, I can't test compatibility with it. I would imagine it's not compatible with 2009, so as to provide yet another additional incentive (like with support for Office 2013 formats) to upgrade to the current version.
If you have Studio 2009 installed, you can easily check if it's compatible or not.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Studio 2009 Mar 11, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
A new OpenExchange application adds support for the TXML format (bilingual file format of Wordfast Pro) to Studio 2011...


FWIW, I have been unable to install it for Studio 2009. The format files are contained inside an EXE file that can't be unzipped, and I can't tell if the EXE file installs the appropriate files anywhere. Studio 2009 wants an *.sdlfiletype file, but I can find no such file for TXML on my computer.


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No Studio here Mar 11, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If you have Studio 2009 installed, you can easily check if it's compatible or not.


I don't have Studio but planning to buy version 2013 or 2015icon_smile.gif

Waiting for CafeTran's TXML filter.


 

trhanslator (X)
waiting for word fast Mar 11, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If you have Studio 2009 installed, you can easily check if it's compatible or not.


I don't have Studio but planning to buy version 2013 or 2015icon_smile.gif

Waiting for CafeTran's TXML filter.



And I'm waiting for access to the Wf Pro beta program, in order to examine the various (numerous?) improvements of Wf Pro that have effect on the TXML format.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
TXML format Mar 11, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
And I'm waiting for access to the Wf Pro beta program, in order to examine the various (numerous?) improvements of Wf Pro that have effect on the TXML format.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any differences in a TXML created by Wordfast Pro 3.1.4 and 3.2.


 

trhanslator (X)
TXML 3.2 Mar 12, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

trhanslator wrote:
And I'm waiting for access to the Wf Pro beta program, in order to examine the various (numerous?) improvements of Wf Pro that have effect on the TXML format.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any differences in a TXML created by Wordfast Pro 3.1.4 and 3.2.


Okay, thanks for that info. In the meantime I have been admitted to the Wf Pro beta forum. Just downloaded and 'installed' Wf Pro beta 3.2 RC5 to create some sample TXML files.

Let's see if my favourite CAT tool can provide support for Wf Pro. The weird thing is: because of Wf Pro's lack of XLIFF support, other developers have to run the extra mile to support migrantsicon_wink.gif.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Lack of XLIFF support in WFP Mar 12, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
The weird thing is: because of Wf Pro's lack of XLIFF support, other developers have to run the extra mile to support migrantsicon_wink.gif.

It's a bit like Brits or Americans who don't feel an urge to learn foreign languages icon_wink.gif. Even SDL acknowledged the TXML format is a force to reckon with, since they now added support for it.


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
WF Pro Beta Mar 12, 2013

trhanslator wrote:

Okay, thanks for that info. In the meantime I have been admitted to the Wf Pro beta forum. Just downloaded and 'installed' Wf Pro beta 3.2 RC5 to create some sample TXML files.

Let's see if my favourite CAT tool can provide support for Wf Pro. The weird thing is: because of Wf Pro's lack of XLIFF support, other developers have to run the extra mile to support migrantsicon_wink.gif.


You are an insider, mentioning even the build numbericon_smile.gif

I don't think XLIFF support is essential (in fact XLIFF export only). So many XLIFF formats around with different names (Studio, MemoQ, Heartsome).

One can translate a TXML, TTX or SDLXLIFF file even with a text editor (if copied source to target ). A Deja Vu X project can be opened with MS Access (or Open/Libre Office). But what about MemoQ's project files. No way without MemoQ!

Anyway, back to the topic, this new OpenExchange application is good news for both SDL and Wordfast users.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
English
Not exactly! Mar 12, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Even SDL acknowledged the TXML format is a force to reckon with, since they now added support for it.



As much as I know you seem to have extraordinary knowledge of the inner workings of SDL, the reason we added this (and I am responsible for pushing for this so I do know) is because sometimes we get requests by users (often Agencies) who wish to be able to handle TXML files. It has nothing to do with the strength of this format in the market and our recognising it. It is more to do with demonstrating how Studio is a platform that has the ability to handle anything. We don't particularly want our users to have to purchase Wordfast to be able to handle these files and the only way previously was to create a monolingual filetype and translate the target elements of the TXML... which is clearly useless when you have a pre-translated TXML file to deal with.

If Wordfast, as you say, did produce XLIFF then we probably would not have done it, and if it truly was a force then anyone with a developer could have done it through the OpenExchange themselves... in fact maybe they have and we didn't even knowicon_wink.gif

On the 2009 question. 2009 does use a different mechanism for filetypes and we have not extended this plugin so it can be used for 2009. Most, if not all, the users I have spoken to who were interested in this use 2011 anyway. The ones who use 2009 don't use Studio as their primary tool so whilst I have less interest in providing it there is always the OpenExchange and it would be possibleicon_wink.gif

Regards

Paul


 

trhanslator (X)
Free exchange of projects: pick your favourite tool Mar 12, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Anyway, back to the topic, this new OpenExchange application is good news for both SDL and Wordfast users.


Indeed. When XLIFF was introduced, I was very enthusiastic: at last I could pick my favourite tool to process projects (Transit at that time). Reality was disappointing (Transit too icon_wink.gif).

Luckily nowadays the ideal situation is 'coming closer'. With tools like CafeTran you can easily process projects created with other CAT tools.

Regardless of your favourite CAT tool, the fact that you don't have to shuttle glossaries and TMs around between tools is a huge time-saver.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
XLIFF Mar 12, 2013

trhanslator wrote:
Indeed. When XLIFF was introduced, I was very enthusiastic: at last I could pick my favourite tool to process projects (Transit at that time). Reality was disappointing...


We're hopelessly off-topic already, but: when XLIFF came out, I had a look at it and did my best to be positive about it, but I knew that whoever thought that it would assist in translation interchange was being wildely optimistic or did not have a clue about the industry. Even if it was not extensible (which was one of the first problems I saw with it), someone would have extended it sooner or later anyway.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TXML now supported by Studio

Advanced search







WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search