Thread poster: Séverine Paolozzi

Séverine Paolozzi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:49
English to French
+ ...
Mar 11, 2013

Hello,

I have been using Trados Studio for a couple of weeks and I am not sure how I should handle hypertext links.

My client provided me with .doc files. Once they are opened in Trados Studio, everything seems to work ok.

I translated the underlined blue hypertext links indicated betwenn purple tags. Then I saved the target to a doc file.

When I returned the doc file to my client, they say that the hypertext links haven't survived though everything looked correct in the translated doc file.

Is there something special to do when translating hypertext links?

I have a whole website to translate and I hope someone will be able to give me some tips. Thank you very much for your help.

Michael Talu  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
You shouldn't need to do anything special... Mar 11, 2013

I translated a hyperlinked Wikipedia article the other day. It was a nightmare to work with as it was so full of tags. But I don't think I had to do anything special, just make sure you're not accidentally deleting any of the tags and that you keep the URL's the same (Trados will try to give you lots of matches for different URL's, so just make sure you don't accept them).

There's also a setting in the top right corner of Studio 2011 where you can set the amount of tags you want it to show you. I had it set to "no tag text" and it only displayed the minimum amount.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is Trados Studio a good choice for translating web sites? Mar 12, 2013

Thank you Michael. I also selected the option "Protect the tags".

I choose this CAT instead of Wordfast to translate this website for a direct client.

Is Trados Studio known to handle well the file formats and tags when translating a website ?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Hyperlinks Mar 12, 2013

Hi Séverine,

If you open a document in Studio that contains hyperlinks then you would expect to see something like this:

So the tagged content is placed underneath the textual content in case it also needs editing, and there will be purple tags either side of the hyperlink in the textual content. You must copy these tags into the translation too. If you don't take the tags then the hyperlink won't be there when you open the target translation.

Regards

Paul

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about hyppertext links without tags? Mar 12, 2013

So if the tags are preserved, I have nothing else to do then.

Great, thank you Paul.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The hypertext links disappear when I save the target as a doc file Mar 13, 2013

Sorry, I really am a beginner with trados studio and translating a web site.

I have more insight about what's happening with my hypertext links. I am talking about links you can click on to skip to another page. These links have no tags in the SDLXLIFF file (where as URLs have tags). OR rather they seem to have only formatting tags:

After translating in trados studio, when I save the target as a doc file, I get a doc file "Word 2003" which has diasbled links.
I mean that when you can not activate the links, when you press CTRL + left click on the blue link, nothing happens.

And when I right click on the link, the same pop up menu opens as for standard text.

Would you have any idea of what I am doing wrongly?
Should hypertext links have specific tags other than formatting ?
Would it be better that the client sends Xliff files, rather than doc files?

Thank uou very much!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Links in a file Mar 13, 2013

Hi,

I created a quick Word DOC and added a link to a bookmark on a different page. This opens like this:

So loads of tags (DOCX is much cleaner with only the link tags) that you need to carry over.

Maybe you can share an example file so I can try and see what you're looking at?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems that Word wasn't running properly Mar 13, 2013

Hi Paul,

eventually I focused on Word, and it happened that Word didn't open the files correctly (all the links were disabled). I checked this with .doc files which hadn't gonne any process through Trados Studio.

And we discovered that Word had improper settings.

So nothing to do with Trados Studio! What a relief!

Thank you anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing hypertext links in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search