How can I not change the font? Help.
Thread poster: YukoShiino

YukoShiino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 12, 2013

I translate English to Japanese by SDL 2011. The English version has some English fonts that I do not
want to change but keep as is in the Japanese translation. However, the English font of ABC (for example) is automatically changed to Japanese font in ABC in the Japanese translation. I try to correct the problem by changing the font from Japanese font ABC to English font ABC, because the client wants to keep the English font of ABC as they are in the Japanese translation but I am not able to do so. I appreciate your advice.

Harry Oikawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
First, check if the font mapping has been activated. Mar 12, 2013

Hi Yuko san,

I assume that you are talking about the Trados Studio 2011 and possible the source document is in MS Word, then you need to check whether the "font mapping" has been activated or not.

Go to the File Type (if you do a single file process Tool > File Type, otherwise Project Settings > File Type).

Select the file type you are working on; for docx select Word 2007-2013 and for doc select Word 2000 - 2003.

There is a entry called "font mapping" and DE-select "Use font mapping for the following target languages."

Hope this works.

YukoShiino  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Problem solved! Mar 14, 2013

Thank you so much, Oikawa san. You are a genius! I couldn't have solved this problem without your help. I appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I not change the font? Help.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search