Tags missing in XUs edited with Trados 2007/SDL Studio 2011
Thread poster: Gregg Stevens
Mar 13, 2013

We have just discovered that there is an incompatibility with our .ttx files pre-translated with Trados Workbench 2007 and a context TM, and then edited with SDL Studio 2011.

Due to segmentation differences between the two programs, tags at the beginning and ends of some segments have been removed from the context TM (XU) translation units.
After editing, these TUs are cleaned into our main TM and because our translators do not check the XUs, we now have an unknown number of TUs with missing tags in our very large TM.

Here is the question: Is there a way to do a tag verification on TMs with more than a million TUs? At the moment we have no idea how much of our TM has been affected. There is no way for us to check the bilingual files at this point.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
English
Maybe... Mar 13, 2013

... you could use the open exchange application called SDL TmConvert - http://goo.gl/aLSiQ

This will allow you to convert your TM into XLIFF files that you can use to create a project in Studio for QA. I guess if you know a few segments that behave this way then you can create some xliff files based on these alone and then see whether you can identify the problem in Studio using the QA checks.

Regards

Paul

Gregg Stevens
TOPIC STARTER
An interesting idea, but.... Mar 15, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Your approach is interesting, but as far as I can see, the SDL TmConvert is not designed to convert a Trados 2007 TM directly. I suppose the process would be to first export the TM from the Workbench as a TMX or text file and then use the SDL TmConvert to create a Trados Studio TM.

Our goal at the moment is first to determine to what extent our Trados 2007 TM has been affected by this problem, repair it and continue to use it.

We use Teamworks as our workflow system, and for this reason we cannot upgrade to Trados Studio. That's why we need a Trados 2007 solution. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDLTmConvert Mar 15, 2013

Hi,

Indeed it's not for upgrading a TM... but you asked if there was a tool to help QA a TM. I guess I incorrectly read this meant a Studio TM and not a 2007 TM?

Maybe also make sure your Translators are always working with fully segmented TTX and using the compatibility mode in Studio for TTX as well. This can help to reduce problems like this due to differences between how the two systems handle these files.

Perhaps if you can identify what the differences are you might be able to use something like ApSIC Xbench to search for them and resolve the problems? I'm told this is pretty good for QA'ing a TMX and this will help you establish the extent of the problem.

Regards

Paul

pep
English to Spanish
Add Xbench as a QA step before delivering your TTX files Mar 16, 2013

I was thinking that even if you clean up your translation memory with our Xbench, if I got you right, you will not address the real source of the issue: tag mismatches will be introduced any time in your subsequent clean up to memory.

You can consider adding to your current translation process a QA step with Xbench of your TTX files (whether they have been worked with Studio or not) before delivery and the clean-up to the memory. With Xbench you can also QA the XUs. There is a nice integration of Xbench with TagEditor with right-click and Edit Source that goes to the segment in question directly in TagEditor.

If you opt to include Xbench QA in your process, you might even skip the task of cleaning your memory because you will be fixing your segments in your ongoing QA. When you clean up to our memory your next project's TTXs, you will be fixing also the memory. Also, TagEditor will be a more convenient and overall more reliable editor for TTX segments than any currently available TMX Editor.

Xbench supports TTX both in v2.9 which is free as in beer but not Unicode-enabled, and also in v3.0, which is Unicode but not free as in beer: €99/year after the beta finishes on Monday March 18, €79/year if purchased before the beta finishes.

Xbench v2.9 and Xbench v3.0 can be downloaded from www.xbench.net.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags missing in XUs edited with Trados 2007/SDL Studio 2011

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search