Studio 2011: Transferring project across computers
Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Local time: 01:58
Member (2003)
German to English
Mar 13, 2013

I've grown used to working in Studio now, and have even started using it voluntarily for certain projects now rather than only for clients who insist on it...

However, I have a couple of inevitable gripes. Say I've created a new project on my PC and halfway through, I need to continue working from my laptop away from my office. I can transfer the whole project from the relevant location on my PC to my laptop. Fine. However, when I open up Studio on my laptop, I need to create
... See more
I've grown used to working in Studio now, and have even started using it voluntarily for certain projects now rather than only for clients who insist on it...

However, I have a couple of inevitable gripes. Say I've created a new project on my PC and halfway through, I need to continue working from my laptop away from my office. I can transfer the whole project from the relevant location on my PC to my laptop. Fine. However, when I open up Studio on my laptop, I need to create a new project simply to carry on translating the same file otherwise Studio will keep trying to look for the TM that's saved on my PC.

I find this crazy and it only happens because SDL were so keen to bundle the TM and translation environment in one application.

Previously, I could just transfer the TMs from one machine to another and carry on working almost seamlessly. Is there any workaround here? Surely, there must be an easier way of working with Studio on 2 different machines...

Or is this where SDL forces freelancers into buying a £2000 professional edition?
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:58
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Dropbox Mar 13, 2013

I use Dropbox, or Skydrive - one of the free online storage facilities - for my TMs.

They are then available on my PC and my laptop.

You have to create a new project on both machines to avoid the problem you mentioned, but once you have done that you can move seamlessly between the two, remembering to "update main translation memories" when you have finished each time.

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dropbox Mar 13, 2013

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention cloud storage. I was just contemplating putting the TM on SkyDrive today to get round this issue...

Unfortunately - called me a luddite - I have concerns about the security of putting confidential material on a cloud service. No doubt these concerns are completely unfounded, but it just seems counterintuitive to save material to the cloud.

Having said that, I know an awful lot of large enterprises (as
... See more
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention cloud storage. I was just contemplating putting the TM on SkyDrive today to get round this issue...

Unfortunately - called me a luddite - I have concerns about the security of putting confidential material on a cloud service. No doubt these concerns are completely unfounded, but it just seems counterintuitive to save material to the cloud.

Having said that, I know an awful lot of large enterprises (as a Carphone Warehouse employee was explaining to me recently) are perfectly happy storing company and customers' details on Dropbox these days, so maybe I should embrace it...
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Why create a new project? Mar 13, 2013

Provided you keep your TMs, MultiTerm termbases and Autosuggest files synched, which is a good idea for backup purposes in any case, you can copy a new project folder created on one computer onto your second machine and import it into Studio by opening the *.sdlproj file in Project view (File\Open\Project and navigate to the appropriate file).

Even if Studio tells you a TM, say, is missing, you can add it manually.

HTH

G.

Jonathan Fray
Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 20:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You don't have to create a new project Mar 13, 2013

Just for you to know, although putting your TMs in the cloud is a good option, it isn't necessary in order to transfer projects from one computer to the next. In fact if you put your translation memories in the cloud like DropBox you lose the ability to share them on your local area network simultaneously with any one else (yes, this works with the Freelance version). I've tried to share a TM through DropBox simultaneously with another person and it created a bunch of TM duplicates in the cloud.... See more
Just for you to know, although putting your TMs in the cloud is a good option, it isn't necessary in order to transfer projects from one computer to the next. In fact if you put your translation memories in the cloud like DropBox you lose the ability to share them on your local area network simultaneously with any one else (yes, this works with the Freelance version). I've tried to share a TM through DropBox simultaneously with another person and it created a bunch of TM duplicates in the cloud.

Anyway, when you transfer over your whole project files like ou mentioned, farolingo, to your laptop, for example, and you are not connected to your PC over a LAN network you need to remember to copy over your TM(s) for that specific project as well. Once you have copied over the project files and TM(s) you just need to go in Studio to File>Open project and select the SDL project file .sdlproj. When this opens it will give you a message that it can't find the TM(s) anymore and then you just need to click OK and select the new location of the TMs on your laptop. You can click Cancel as well and when the project is loaded go to Project Settings and configure the location of you new TM.

Your project should be ready to go as how you left it at you PC.

If your laptop and PC are connected on the same LAN network you can just open the project through your network without transferring over any files.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Or simply treat these... Mar 13, 2013

... exactly as you would of done before. If you were quite happy taking TTX and five files to make up a TM between computers then now you can take an sdlxliff and one file for your TM. Exactly the same process.

If you want your whole project then you are not comparing apples with apples However, even this can be straightforward if you work as Giles suggested, or you keep the same folder structure and username, and
... See more
... exactly as you would of done before. If you were quite happy taking TTX and five files to make up a TM between computers then now you can take an sdlxliff and one file for your TM. Exactly the same process.

If you want your whole project then you are not comparing apples with apples However, even this can be straightforward if you work as Giles suggested, or you keep the same folder structure and username, and same operating system, on both machines and then it's simple to replicate the set up on both machines.

Professional of course would allow you to create packages and work between machines this way but my guess is you don't really need this for your usecase.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
sdlxliff Mar 13, 2013

Hi Paul

Yep, I've tried transferring sdlxliff as you suggest and I've also tried opening the project file as Giles suggests. Each time, however, I seem to need to go through an unnecessary number of steps whereas before I could just open two files, done. Ok, fair enough, I guess that's the price to pay for having arguably better software wrapped up in a single application.

I may still consider the Professional edition however, because I'd like to ship work out as packag
... See more
Hi Paul

Yep, I've tried transferring sdlxliff as you suggest and I've also tried opening the project file as Giles suggests. Each time, however, I seem to need to go through an unnecessary number of steps whereas before I could just open two files, done. Ok, fair enough, I guess that's the price to pay for having arguably better software wrapped up in a single application.

I may still consider the Professional edition however, because I'd like to ship work out as packages if I'm to use Studio as my default software from now on.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Transferring project across computers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »