Upgrading large legacy TM in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Language Arts

Language Arts
United States
Local time: 18:15
Mar 13, 2013

I'm trying to upgrade a large legacy TM (325843 units) in Studio 2011. The process takes a long time, but does finish without any error messages.

When the import was done, only 238506 units out of 325843 processed were "added". What happened to the other nearly 85000 units?

Thank you in advance for any advise!

Jennifer

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:15
English
Duplicates etc Mar 14, 2013

Hi,

When you upgrade a TM Studio will remove any TUs that it does not require. A TU is not imported if it is a duplicate of an existing one. Usually two TUs are equal if their source and target segments are equal. However, "equality" means they are also equal if they only differ in auto-substitutable placeables. Those, in turn, depend on the enabled recognizers.

For example, if number recognition is active, two TUs

(Give me 5 apples./Donne-moi 5 pommes.)

and

(Give me 6 apples./Donne-moi 6 pommes.)

are equal, even though their segments differ, and although my French is lousy. This is because the second can be created from the first by applying auto-substitution. One one will be imported and, if applicable, the custom field values of the other will be merged.

Similar processes exist for tags and formatting, measurements, variables, and date and time expressions.

There is an option when you upgrade to have all omitted TUs added to an xml file so you can see them afterwards and check why.

Regards

Paul

Language Arts
United States
Local time: 18:15
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 14, 2013

Great, that makes sense! Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading large legacy TM in Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search