Why CM if no TM activated?
Thread poster: Leo van Dijk

Leo van Dijk

French to Dutch
Mar 14, 2013

Hello,

As a relative newbie to Studio 2011 I am doing my best to understand the way it works... so who can help me answer the following question?

When I am working on a Single File Project, with no TM selected other than a project TM, Studio tells me that it found a Context Match when I confirm the last TU of my text (which is a unique sentence). That seems illogical to me: if there is no TM to compare my translation with, why does Studio tell me there is a CM?

I am under the impression that the TM is consolidated once the last TU is confirmed, and that CM is then shown because the cursor is still on the last TU. This impression is confirmed by the fact that when I move the cursor upwards, all the TU's are said to have a CM.

What I do not understand in this story is why it works like this. That is, I can see on my harddisk that the project TM is created right after the confirmation of the first TU. Then why is a CM not given right away on every translation that I confirm? Is it simply because after a translation the cursus moves down to the next segment, whereas this is not the case after the last segment?

Thanks for your advise and replies, it will be largely appreciated.

Leo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
English
But you do have a TM! Mar 14, 2013

Leo van Dijk wrote:

When I am working on a Single File Project, with no TM selected other than a project TM, ...

Hi,

As soon as you confirm the segment you add it to your TM. So if you go back in a segment it will now be looking it up in the TM!

Regards

Paul

Leo van Dijk

French to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
But still... Mar 15, 2013

Hi Paul,

So, does that mean that my last remark is correct? I quote:

"Then why is a CM not given right away on every translation that I confirm? Is it simply because after a translation the cursor moves down to the next segment, whereas this is not the case after the last segment?"

Thank you!

Regards,

Leo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
English
Sort of... Mar 15, 2013

Leo van Dijk wrote:

Hi Paul,

So, does that mean that my last remark is correct? I quote:

"Then why is a CM not given right away on every translation that I confirm? Is it simply because after a translation the cursor moves down to the next segment, whereas this is not the case after the last segment?"

The reason for it not showing as a CM is not because you moved away from it. The match value in the central column will always remain as it was when the match was first found. It only becomes a CM if you go back into the segment and reapply the translation that is now in your TM.

Maybe the distinction is not important to you, but I wanted to clarify why this happens. And it's not because you moved away from the segment.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why CM if no TM activated?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search