Any point getting Trados Suite 2007 AND 2011?
Thread poster: Claire Mercier

Claire Mercier  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
English to French
+ ...
Mar 18, 2013

Hello,

I'm new to Trados and was wondering whether there was any point getting both the old and the new versions?

Thanks a lot!

Claire.

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Do you mean that you already have Trados 2007? Mar 18, 2013

If so then I think the upgrade to 2011 is worth it.

I don't think you can buy 2007 anymore.

Mark

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Both! Mar 18, 2013

There was an offer in the "Translators Group Buy" to buy either Studio 2011 or Studio 2007 and Studio 2011.
I was surprised to have the option and now that it's time to pay, I wonder what the point would be to buy both (it's about $100 extra).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
A few reasons that may or may not be relevant Mar 18, 2013

Hi Claire,

If you already have Trados 2007 and not Trados 2007 Suite then here's a few things you might want to consider that could influence your decision:

1. you do a lot of work with legacy filetypes (TTX, Bilingual Doc/RTF or SDLX)
  2. you want to connect directly to Trados 2007 based server solutions

So the first reason would ensure you have the right tools to be able to create these filetypes for your customer in the most appropriate way to avoid issues during the translation process. The second is a must have if you are required to work online with Trados 2007 Servers or SDL TeamWorks for example.

If none of these things apply, or you only ever get provided with legacy bilingual files already prepared, then I think you can probably do without Trados 2007 Suite.

That would be my view in the absence of any practitioners with different viewpoints.

Regards

Paul

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 19, 2013

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I can do without Suite 2007...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any point getting Trados Suite 2007 AND 2011?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search