Incorrect translation results matches on Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Aoifekenn

Aoifekenn
Local time: 05:41
French to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2013

Hello
I encountered some weird behaviour today when using Trados Studio 2009. I was working on a project for which there would have been some matches in my own TM (which I had previously updated to include matches from a TM that my client provided). The programme came up with supposed 100% matches that were nothing at all to do with the source text translation units. The programme also suggested some incorrect matches using translation units that I created as part of today's translation, and again they were often not a match at all.
Not sure if this is connected, but I also had a few issues when trying to "Save as" - I kept on getting the "does not support this file type" message and I had to save the source text under a different name and create a new project. this eventually seemed to resolve that issue, but I continued to get incorrect translation unit matches.
Any ideas would be very greatfully received.
I have checked that all of the file type options are ticked.
Many thanks in advanceicon_smile.gif

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:41
English
Can we see a screenshot... Mar 18, 2013

.... of what you're looking at when you see these incorrect matches?

Regards

Paul

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I'm seeing are mismatched translastion units Mar 18, 2013

hi Paul
I wouldn't be comfortable providing a screenshot for reasons of confidentiality, and in any case I don't think it would help. Basically what I'm seeing are mismatched translation units - the programme is coming up with supposed 100% or 99% matches where the source and target translation units don't in fact match at all.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
To me... Mar 18, 2013

... it sounds like a TM problem. I would suggest opening the TM and checking if the TM segments are OK. Maybe, for example, the TM has been created from an alignment that hasn't been aligned properly, who knows.

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
could be an alignment issue but I'm not 100% convinced Mar 19, 2013

Hi Natalie
thanks for your feedback.
I initially thought it was an alignment issue and that the agency had perhaps provided a TM with a lot of misaligned translation units, but then the programme started coming up with mismatches involving new translation units that I created today whilst translating.

United Kingdom
English
Not easy to diagnose like this Mar 19, 2013

Aoifekenn wrote:

hi Paul
I wouldn't be comfortable providing a screenshot for reasons of confidentiality, and in any case I don't think it would help. Basically what I'm seeing are mismatched translation units - the programme is coming up with supposed 100% or 99% matches where the source and target translation units don't in fact match at all.

Hi,

Can you describe what you mean by a mismatch? Is it tag differences? Is the text completely different? Can you pick a single segment (containing non sensitive text) and provide a screenshot of that along with the corresponding match? Are you maybe referring to concordance rather than a TM lookup (sorry for the newbie question but I have no idea how experienced you are)?

Regards

Paul

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's text differences Mar 19, 2013

Hi Paul
Thanks for your replies. It's nothing to do with the tags, it's entire translation units that come up as a 100% match when in relaity nothing in the text itself matches. In fact the text has very few tags - only 4 TUs in a 5,000+ word text have tags atached to them. Now I'm thinking that this is odd, because there are different fonts and some instances of underlined text, etc., surely those should have tags related to them?
It's hard for me to describe the mismatching any better than that because I have now completed the job (it was urgent so I decided to post on the forum afterwards rather than during the job) and all of the incorrect translation units (not phrases and not a matter of tags - just entire translation units that are completely different from source text to target text) have been overwritten by me, so a screenshot isn't possible in any case because now everything matches.
I don't think it's a matter of concordance because the entire target TU that is supposedly a 100% match has nothing in common with the source TU - they are totally different.
I've been using Trados for years now but I guess I'm a newbie inasmuch as I use it in a very straightforward way, I never need to mess around much with any of the settings, so I'm probably fairly clueless in terms of the in-depth technical side of the software. I'm sure this is a very simple matter of something changing in the settings, although I haven't (knowingly at least!) changed anything.

United Kingdom
English
I think... Mar 19, 2013

... it would really help to see something here. I don't believe that a TM lookup will give you matches based on text that are clearly incorrect and yet still show 100%. I don't believe it's settings either.

I've run out of guesses so if you can share anything with me off the forum perhaps then I may be able to help you, otherwise I'm stumped.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This really is what's happening Mar 19, 2013

hi Paul
What I've described is genuinely what was happening.
For me to give you an exact example would be nigh-on impossible now because the text is translated so now all of the TUs are showing the correct translation.
I simply can't remember a precise example of one of the matches that were incorrect, but when I have a little more time later on today I will try to see what I can come up with, maybe by trying to translate a new text, that way I will hopefully have some tangible examples, as I seem to be failing 100% when trying to describe the problem.
Thanks again.

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe concordance is the problem... Mar 19, 2013

Hi Paul
Luckily I've had some extra text from the same project sent through for translation. So far I haven't had any problem with mismatched translation units, but when I performed a concordance search for a specific term I got the following match:

In the concordance search window, this section from a previous translation:
"Assegurar que a informação do Indicador 10 sobre execução financeira inclui fundos do Banco Mundial que serão utilizados para funcionamento no segundo semestre de 2012" is marked as a 100% match to this translation unit, which is totally different:

"Third quarter 2012 (July - September) – 67% Q1 2012 Q2 2012 Q3 2012 Target 2012"

I tried to do a screen shot but it doesn't show the problem very clearly. I have highlighted the term that I wanted to search for and performed a concordance search, and it has given me tht incorrect match in the concordance search window.

United Kingdom
English
What was the term... Mar 19, 2013

... you were searching for and was this term in the result?

Regards

Paul

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No... Mar 19, 2013

the term "execucao financeira" was not in the result. This is whast I've been trying to say all along. The results are not matching the source TUs.

United Kingdom
English
ok - now I'm even more confused! Mar 19, 2013

Hi,

Concordance can search the source or the target and you can search the source from the target or the target from the source as well.

You searched for : execucao financeira

Isn't this here?

"Assegurar que a informação do Indicador 10 sobre execução financeira inclui fundos do Banco Mundial que serão utilizados para funcionamento no segundo semestre de 2012"

Paul

United Kingdom
English
I have another idea... Mar 19, 2013

... because this could go on forever like this. Why don't you drop me an email and I'll set up a quick webex so you show me on your computer what's happening? Then perhaps we can get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Aoifekenn
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The term "execucao financeira" was in the result, but... Mar 19, 2013

the result was showing a 100% TU match where in fact as you can see the TUs don't match at all, so the result of the concordance search was correct but it flagged up the issue I've been having with TUs that don't match in the source and target text, as suggested by Trados.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect translation results matches on Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search