message: object reference ot set to an instance of an object (again)
Thread poster: Lucia Castrillon

Lucia Castrillon  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
Member (2011)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, I know there are other threads with this topic.
I have read them but nothing helps.

-I am using a Windows 8 version, that is maybe why the solution of deleting some .txt files (or something) is not working with me because I am not able to find the path where these files should be placed (I have no AppData subfolder)...

-I have found out that this has to do with microsoft.NET framework and a gacutil.exe file that is missing in my PC. Also trying to install the SDK and 1.1. versions did not help because apparently they are both "non compatible" with my system...

-I also installed the KB4536-8 update but ... nothing helps!

Each time I change segment I have to close this irritating little window!!! and I have a deadline tomorrow. This is so frustrating.

Before coming here I went to the SDL support page and I found out that you are not allowed to send a support query if you dont pay an extra fee of more than EUR 100?? it seems you have to have a "contract" to be able to send them support questions. Of didn't I understand it well? Because I could also not find any email where you can send your support questions.

That is also very frustrating, that you pay more than € 800 for a program which does not even work well, and when you need assistance you need to pay even more to get an answer...
Sorry everyone but this is getting on my nerves since 9 am and still no solution!

Please any help to get that thing away from a Windows 8 system laptop with SDL Trados Studio 2011 would be very welcome!!!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
AppData Mar 19, 2013

The reason you're not seeing the AppData Folder is because it's hidden by default. Control Panel -> Folder Options -> check Show/display hidden folders, files... No sure, it'll fix your issue but might be worth a try

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What kind of source file? Mar 19, 2013

I once could resolve this error by switching from docx to doc format.

Member (2011)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!!! Mar 19, 2013

Heinrich!!! thank you very much!!
The file I was working with was a ttx (or something) but the lady of the translation bureau also sent me the Word document... just opened a new project using the word file and voilà!

What is a .ttx file anyway? what is the difference between that one and the word file I mean?

Bernard, when I have more time I will look for that one... I am using this Windows 8 for only 3 weeks now and have no idea where the Control Panel has gone in this version.
This is the emergency solution but I will try to do so after this deadline, because I want to be able to work with any format in further projects, of course.

Anyway, a bit of copy and paste (only a few segments, could not do a lot with that window appearing the whole time) and for today it is solved..

Thank you guys!!

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Windows + X Mar 19, 2013

Pressing the Windows key on your keyboard + X will bring up a popup with a number of entries, including Control Panel.

When in the Control Panel, click on Customization -> Change Desktop Icons -< check Computer and one or more icons you may find useful. When clicking on Computer, the window that opens displays "File Computer Display", click on Computer and a ribbon type toolbar (as in Word 2007, etc.) will show up, then you'll be able to select Control Panel.

HTH,

Bernard

[Edited at 2013-03-19 14:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-03-19 21:11 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Glad it's resolved but please note: Mar 19, 2013

Lucia Castrillon wrote:

Before coming here I went to the SDL support page and I found out that you are not allowed to send a support query if you don't pay an extra fee of more than EUR 100?? it seems you have to have a "contract" to be able to send them support questions. Of didn't I understand it well? Because I could also not find any email where you can send your support questions.

If you have a problem that is preventing your from using the software at all then of course you are entitled to help without a support contract. So not knowing how to use part of the functionality would not constitute a valid reason to get help from the technical Support team without a contract, but getting an error message every time you leave a segment, or the software not starting at all would.

To do this use the Solution Finder in the knowledgebase and follow the steps according to the problem you are seeing. You might also be prompted with some help along the way and be able to find the solution without needing to wait for a technical support engineer.

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message when opening or using the program.
-- The error occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2011

Then complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Is SDL working on the problem? Mar 20, 2013

I fail to understand why this problem is still present in the newest version of Studio. The error message gives us no clue what the problem basically is and what we can or should do. Poor programming style.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
We work on the problems when we know what they are... Mar 20, 2013

... and unfortunately the Obj Ref error is not one identifiable problem. This is a generic message that comes from dotNET and not specifically from Studio. So what we need to know are things like this:

1. What you were doing at the time and what were the filetypes?
2. Have a copy of the xml error stack that can be saved when you see this error?

Each time you see this message the cause could be something different. So we have probably fixed lots of them... but may still get more as there are many things that can cause a message like this and sometimes it will only appear for one, or a handful of users, under very specific circumstances.

Quite a tricky one I'm afraid.

Regards

Paul

Member (2011)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
apparently, it is working Mar 20, 2013

Sorry guys, I have to admit yesterday my frustration was talking for me.

Paul from SDL Support has being helping me very much through this.
At this moment my Trados running on Windows 8 seems to be working again (for the time being and fingers crossed)

I could not try the solution of deleting those 3 files as the path as shown there does not exist in W8, so I could not find them.

Solution 2 proposed by SDL support was good:

Simply go to option "View" in the Editor > reset windows layer > ok

I hope this can help someone!

At this moment we are having another one with the convertion into Word format but Paul has been helping with that too.

Well forget what I wrote about Trados, the program is still getting on my nervesicon_smile.gif but the support is very good!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

message: object reference ot set to an instance of an object (again)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search