Adrien Keszthelyi
Adrien Keszthelyi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:53
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 20, 2013

Hello,

my problem is that I have received from my client UK English TM and US English ttx files and Trados Studio does not open the TM after importing the ttx files and vice-versa.

Could you please suggest how I could solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Adrien

Fabio Gutiérrez (X)
Fabio Gutiérrez (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ask client to fix it or use Notepad++ to fix it by yourself Mar 20, 2013

Hi Adrien,

If you have a reason for not asking your client to fix it (it should definitely be his responsibility to provide you with a TM matching the files' locale or, vice-versa, adapting the files to the TM locale), I suggest you to download Notepad++ from the following site:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

This is a freeware program. Use it to open the supplied ttx files, a
... See more
Hi Adrien,

If you have a reason for not asking your client to fix it (it should definitely be his responsibility to provide you with a TM matching the files' locale or, vice-versa, adapting the files to the TM locale), I suggest you to download Notepad++ from the following site:
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

This is a freeware program. Use it to open the supplied ttx files, and do a global search & replace for "UK" into "US". Then save changes. After doing so, you should be able to use the files with the TM.

I have used this process to import files from different origins into a single TM. Total downloading, installing and editing time: not more than 10 minutes.

It also works the other way round, by editing the TM and making a global search & replace there. However, if you need to send the TM back to the client it may be preferable to do it with the files.

This is just one fixing suggestion. I am sure you will receive input with other alternatives.

Good luck!
Fabio
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Or alternatively... Mar 20, 2013

... download the AnyTM app from the OpenExchange and then use this to add your TM as a read only TM to get the matches whilst working with a TM using the matching languages for update :

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/02/28/its-all-english-right/

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Managing US En TM and UK En ttx in Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »