Thread poster: John Willemsen

John Willemsen  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2013

So, here's my pickle:

I have a large document, which has been partially translated. Both complete source and its partial translation are separate word-files. I now have to translate the remaining part of the source document.

Ideally, I'm looking to have Trados (Studio 2011 SP3) create a translation memory from the partial translation, to assist me in the translation of the remaining part. Is this possible?

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
English to French
+ ...
Alignment Mar 20, 2013

If the files are separate, you'll need to align them to be able to create a translation memory. Under Trados Home View, click Align Translated Documents - other alignment tools are available, pick the one that suits your needs best - often discussed in Proz forums

Bulgaria
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no joy... Mar 21, 2013

I've aligned and exported in .tmx format. The translated document is approx. 27.000 words.

However, when I import this .tmx file, I get only 1300 hits! There are not nearly enough repetitions to account for this discrepancy. I'm certain, seeing I proofread the first part of the text.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Notepad Mar 21, 2013

Open the tmx in Notepad or Notepad++ and search for strings you think might be missing

Bulgaria
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A LOT! Mar 21, 2013

A lot of strings are missing. I know what you're thinking: "he has 1300 segments, not words", right?

Wrong, I have 1300 words. Words, not segments. Searching the text for every single missing word/string is too much work, but it's roughly 5 pages long, whereas the source is just under 60 pages and over 26,000 words.

However, since my initial post, I have succeeded. I didn't do anything differently from the (numerous) other times I tried to do this. It just... worked. i cannot explain why or how it did, nor why it didn't at first. I changed no settings, followed the exact same steps...

Anyway, I'm happy it worked. It would be even nicer if it worked consistently, though.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Confirm? Mar 21, 2013

It's been years since I last used WinAlign (I think it's a very poor aligner) but I seem to recall that it only exports into the TMX the segments that you have confirmed. I.e. two segments that are side by side or connected will not necessarily be included in the TMX. There is some "Confirm all" command somewhere that you need to use.
... or maybe my memories are incorrect.

Bulgaria
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Mar 21, 2013

but I hàd confirmed all segments... To no avail, unfortunately.

I still don't know what was the problem, but that was not it, that I do know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using source and target to create TM

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search