Instant Trados - is it possible? (Computer setup)
Thread poster: Tomasz Cieńciała

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:11
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

Hi, I am using Trados 2011 for a short time on one year old not so fast laptop. With more and more entries in term base and growing tm I find it becoming slower and slower. Also opening and saving files takes in my opinion too much time.

So the question is - does it make sense to upgrade existing laptop with more RAM and an SSD drive? Currently I have 4 GBs and "normal" HDD. Will this make any difference? Or should I think about new machine with some strong CPU (i5 or even i7)? Currently I have AMD APU E-450 or something like that (two cores at 1,5 GHz).

Any help greatly appreciatedicon_smile.gif

Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
Exp Mar 21, 2013

Hello there, I have only Studio 2009, but I suppose, it will be similar. On my laptop (almost same specs as yours) it is slow, but manageable (I have SSD, which is really a BIG improvement). On my desktop with i5, 12 GBs RAM, SSD etc. everything opens almost instantly. So if the slow loading is really annoying, buy a strong desktop:-)

Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
English to Spanish
Trados Mar 21, 2013

Dear Tomasz, Upgrading SSD drive will greatly improve loading time and accessing TM. In my personal experience, Trados does not seem to benefit from more than 4GB, although a faster CPU will improve Trados operation greatly.

I just change my old Lenovo N500, 4GB Core duo laptop for a Lenovo Yoga 13, I5, 4G 128GB SSD. This improved loading big files and using Trados. Also, the new screen is easier to read.

I now use 2 computers, a desktop i7 water-cooled over clocked to 4.5G, 10TB raid array of 7200 rmp sata3 discs, 3 monitors, 32GB Ram and the Lenovo Yoga.

I´m currently working on a large document with 165.989 words (56MB sdlxliff), these are my results using Trados 2011:

1. Lenovo Yoga loads the file in 2 minutes, versus 10 minutes the desktop.
2. Preparing the file after loading takes 14 minutes in the Yoga and 4 minutes in the desktop.
3. Confirming a segment takes 3 seconds on the desktop and 9 seconds on the Yoga.

Task manager reports Trados is using 788MB. I could not even load this file on my old laptop.

When working on small documents I don´t see any difference, beside better loading time on the Yoga.

Hope this helps you; I was in the same dilemma a few days ago. In the meantime defragment your HDD (You can use free piriform defraggler).

Regards

Roy

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Finnish to French
Slowness should be addressed in software Mar 21, 2013

Roy Chacón wrote:
Confirming a segment takes 3 seconds on the desktop and 9 seconds on the Yoga.

3 seconds on a super-powerful computer with a 4.5 GHZ Core i7 CPU, 32 GB of RAM etc. sounds a lot for an operation as mundane as confirming a segment. You have probably exhausted your potential for performance improvement via hardware, I'd say the problem is in the design of the software.

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Czech to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Defender Mar 26, 2013

Thank you for your answersicon_smile.gif

I decided not to upgrade SSD/RAM due to one incredible findingicon_smile.gif I came upon Windows Defender on some other forum and added Trados process to exceptions and my folders with translations/tms/termbases to exclusions.

It works like rocket nowicon_biggrin.gif Nothing else was changed. So I don't know if this is solution to all trados instalations, but if anybody is interested - please try it. BTW on my computer turning defender off did not make any difference, two steps above helped.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instant Trados - is it possible? (Computer setup)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search